2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

can you use msd 6a on a 2002 blazer?

Old 03-14-2010, 05:00 PM
Beginning Member
warlock3055 is on a distinguished road
Default can you use msd 6a on a 2002 blazer?

hello, i have a 2002 blazer extreme, and i have doing what ever i can to get a lil more power out of this 4.3. like remove the cup like on the butterfly in the throttle , removed the screen in the mass air, what else?? i have a extra msd 6 a from my mustangs, can this be put right in? or is there something else i need to watch for? what is that lil thing next to the coil itself? can i upgrade the coil to a msd one? i saw something from msd called coil interface? what is that? i am new to the chevy blazer, i always loved the tough look to the extreme, please let me know what you all think??

Old 03-14-2010, 06:26 PM
RonJon is an unknown quantity at this point

Look into the coil interface. Speaking from theory and experience with Chevy motors in the stock cars with a 6 0r 6a.... The MSD can receive a trigger signal from either points or a GM ignition module in the distributor and will plug directly to either (adapter harness for the module). Your blazer receives a trigger signal from the crank and that in turn goes to the PCM. The PCM adjusts the ignition timing and sends a signal to the ignition module (the part next to the coil you inquired about) and that powers the coil. I feel confident you could bypass that module and replace it with a MSD and MSD coil but you just can't "cob" one in there. Call MSD's help line and I'm sure they'll set you up with an adapter harness.

Old 03-14-2010, 07:17 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Considering that what you have already done hasn't done much of anything... If you want further information on the mods you have done and why I say this, just search away.

The stock ignition system is already quite hot, I doubt you'll see benefits from an MSD setup without doing some other major modifications. Without mods that raise peak power to a higher RPM where the stock ignition becomes restrictive, the gains will be minimal to say the least.

You want to build power higher in the RPM curve so you'll need a cam, less restrictive exhaust, and a custom tune to take advantage of it all to make an ignition upgrade worth while. The cam is what will push peak power to a higher RPM. Less restrictive exhaust will help it breath at the new RPMs you'll be running, an aftermarket ignition system will allow for higher RPM stability in the ignition system, and the custom tune will bring it all together.

Old 03-14-2010, 08:03 PM
Beginning Member

yea i was doing some reading on it, i wasnt sure if i could splice into the two wires going to the coil. that is why i thought i ask if anyone has done that.. thanks for the info you have told me, i will do some looking up what more i can get for then 4.3l motor, i put on a after market exhaust, but that didnt do nothing but dual s out the back, i still have the cats on it, i was told that you cant cut them off due to the o2 is behind it and will not read right? i just wold like to get a lil more power out of it, mine is a 5 speed trans, so it has a lil more take off then the auto, or feels like it to me, i thought maybe if i install the msd i help ake sure i burn all the as i put into it,,

Old 03-14-2010, 09:16 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by warlock3055
...i thought maybe if i install the msd i help ake sure i burn all the as i put into it,,
If you meant "help make sure I burn all the gas I put into it", then trust me, you are burning all the gas you put into it, unless it's pouring out the tail pipe.
My question is, what task are you trying to accomplish that the truck is failing to do because of lack of power?

Old 03-16-2010, 05:33 AM
Beginning Member

im not really lacking any power, i just wanted to gain a lil more with it. i just had this msd box sitting on the shelf so i thought i wonder if it can be installed into it. its a good running blazer,