2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Catalytic Converter Questions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2010, 11:27 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Catalytic Converter Questions?

I need to replace my catalytic converter. 2000 Blazer 4x4x4. Two upstream 02 and one downstream 02.
Trouble Im having is two local auto parts stores only sell the whole unit and not just a replacement catalytic converter. They dont even sell a performance replaement for my truck. The unit is the y-pipe to the muffler with the Cat in the middle. Its a simple bolt on swap, almost, however its $256 and special order. I was hoping to save some money and go with a "Universal" cat. Both places dont offer a universal replacement, they only offer the $256 unit. Why?

Image of the cat unit for sale.
http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...52135/image/8/

As you can see, I could simply whack out the old and swamp in a replacement for about $100, saving myself about $150.
On to my questions.
Why dont they offer a universal catalytic converter for my truck?
Is there anything special about the cat in the 2000 and up trucks.
I can get a universal for the 99 and earlier, but not the 00 and up. Why?
I hope someone can enlighten me about catalytic converters.
I dont need a California approved unit, I dont live in California nor do I plan on ever going there again.

Thanks
makes cool sounds while playing with

Old 03-07-2010, 11:49 AM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

You can buy a universal cat for your truck. You just can't buy it at autozone. Check some other auto parts stores instead. The why is of course because they can make more money that way.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2404&ppt=C0022

Old 03-07-2010, 01:30 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info, however that is for a TrailBlazer, not an S10 Blazer. It may work, it may not work on my truck. I have the Blazer, not a TrailBlazer. They are completely diferent animals.

Same problem I run into at other places, they list it for TrailBlazers or pre '99 Blazers (s10) version. They dont list a Blazer version.

I did some more research into it, it appears I can get one through Summit Racing for about $80 delivered. I'll make some calls on Monday around town and see if any place has one. We only have one performance shop in town and thier pretty proud of thier products. $$$

Still curious as to why no one lists a replacement for the Blazer other than the complete unit? To me that is a red flag. Is there something special aobut the catalytic converter in the post 00 Blazers?

Old 03-07-2010, 01:48 PM
Starting Member

Interesting, I was positive that I told it S10 rather then trailblazer when I did the search.
However you can also search under an S10 pickup of the same year. The exhaust systems are identical at the front as far as a universal cat is concerned. (I even crawled under both my S10 and my blazer to check that)

Just be sure when buying a universal that you get the correct pipe size. Also be careful when you cut the old cat off that you leave enough room after the exhaust hanger for the clamp.

I replaced the cat with a universal on my 01 S10 pickup without any problems aside from the placement of the exhaust hanger being a bit closer to the clamp then I would have liked. But that was my fault for cutting the pipe to short in the first place.

Last edited by awe341; 03-07-2010 at 01:52 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 01:58 PM
BF Veteran

yea I have to be carefull what I get. There is about 1"-1.5" between the end of the cat and the exhaust hanger, I need to save the hanger, no welder to weld a new one on. May cat is about 14" long, and there are several inches in front for wiggle room. I do intend to insert the cat into the exhaust pipe in the back and will have to clamp before the exhaust clamp.

I dont have a real accurate method of measuring the pipe diameter until I cut the cat off. Using a pipe wrench and ruler it apppears Im looking at a 2.5" in/out unit.

Ill whack it off tomorrow, today was research into that red flag.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:03 PM
Starting Member

It is possible that the hanger location itself is the reason that most places don't have a universal listed for the S10 blazer.

Let us know how it goes.

Old 03-07-2010, 02:04 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hanr3
...it apppears Im looking at a 2.5" in/out unit...
That should be correct.

Old 03-07-2010, 05:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Tim, a 2.5 IN/OUT universal cat will set you straight. You will want to match pretty close to the length of the original so that you can get the connections to seal up. Too bad you didn't live closer, I'd weld it up for ya!

One of these will help get the old one out of there cleanly:

I have a blue one just like this from Napa.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:23 PM
BF Veteran

Thanks for the info.
Kyle, I was going to use either a sawzall, saber saw, or hack saw if I can get it out in one piece. That cutter looks nice though.

I'll keep it street legal even though I dont have emission inspections. Cats coming out and a new one is going back in. Although a piece of straight pipe is a lot cheaper, especialy while Im unemployed. Damn morals and values.

Old 10-13-2010, 11:50 PM
Starting Member
noguf is on a distinguished road

i need help my bolts broke in side the flang cat to muffler if been heating it up and trying to pound it out or rturn it out with vise grip y wont they budge

Quick Reply: Catalytic Converter Questions?