2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Catalytic Converter Removal - 95 Blazer

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 10:24 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

You can get a universal cat for your Blazer for < $75. You call that crazy? As for 'running bad', yeah they do if the motor is not maintained correctly. Get your engine in shape and it runs fine.

Old 08-09-2009, 01:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yep, $50-$75 is the going rate for a cut out, splice in universal catalytic converter... A properly maintained vehicle can have the catalytic converter last for the potential life of the rest of the vehicle.

Old 08-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Beginning Member
jamez70 is on a distinguished road

I'll probably replace the cat when I get my welding skills a little more up to par. I mainly did it to see if that (or the O2 sensor) was causing my driveability issues, and it was. I do think it was the sensor, because it seemed sluggish to me when I'd watch it on my scanner.

I need to do more work on the exhaust because I'm concerned with exhaust leaks anyway. I had a hell of a time with the 3 bolts/springs that connect the 'Y' pipe and the manifolds. I really had to struggle with them (because they are not in the greatest area to get a lot of torque for one).

I'm just happy its running adequately.

As far as OBD1/2, its OBD1, but it has the DLC-16 connector thats typical in OBD2. I'm about 95% positive that there is only one O2 sensor. I did find a bung in the pipe between the cat/muffler, but it was plugged and there wasn't any evidence of any wiring nearby.

Jim

Old 08-19-2009, 02:08 AM
bigdaddykane93 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by jamez70
I'll probably replace the cat when I get my welding skills a little more up to par. I mainly did it to see if that (or the O2 sensor) was causing my driveability issues, and it was. I do think it was the sensor, because it seemed sluggish to me when I'd watch it on my scanner.

I need to do more work on the exhaust because I'm concerned with exhaust leaks anyway. I had a hell of a time with the 3 bolts/springs that connect the 'Y' pipe and the manifolds. I really had to struggle with them (because they are not in the greatest area to get a lot of torque for one).

I'm just happy its running adequately.

As far as OBD1/2, its OBD1, but it has the DLC-16 connector thats typical in OBD2. I'm about 95% positive that there is only one O2 sensor. I did find a bung in the pipe between the cat/muffler, but it was plugged and there wasn't any evidence of any wiring nearby.

Jim
Hi Jim,
just curious, where can i get an O2 simulator? thanks so much