2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Changed my rear windsheild wiper...

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Starting Member
Badco is on a distinguished road
Default Changed my rear windsheild wiper...

And now it doesn't work. When I changed it I pulled the wiper up and over the lip and it made a bit of a crack. When I went to check the wiper blade the thing wouldn't budge, and also the fluid will not come out when I press the rear wiper button all the way to the left.

I read in a thread that the gear box has several plastic gears and I think a broken one might be my culprit. But what troubling me is the wiper fluid will not come out. Will it stop automatically if the rear wiper doesn't engage?

Thanks!

97 Blazer LT 4wd

Old 06-15-2013, 10:26 AM
Starting Member
blown262 is on a distinguished road

When the wiper is at its rest position (where it sits below the glass on its perch) the fluid will not come out. If it is stuck in the rest position because of a broken gear or other problem, the step motor will see this and not allow the secondary pump in the washer resevoir to activate. If you hear a cracking sound when you pulled the wiper, chances are you messed up something in the motor transmission, and possibly the motor itself. I would start by taking the wiper arm off, removing the entire wiper assembly, and diagnosing the issue out of the vehicle. The motor and transmission on these is one unit, and must be replaced as a whole IIRC

Old 06-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Starting Member

Okay,, thanks. The inside trim of the rear hatch will have to come off to reach it, correct?

I planned on heading to the pick and pay today for a couple of spare wheel steels, so a motor assembly shouldn't be all that much...

also, will the broken wiper cause the other systems (rear defrog, hatch open) to malfunction aswell? thanks. I checked the fuses and they're all in good condition. Didn't know I got a fuse puller until just now.

Last edited by Badco; 06-15-2013 at 11:29 AM.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Starting Member
blown262 is on a distinguished road

Rear defog I am not sure about. The hatch opening I can see it doing some funky things with, because whenever the rear glass is popped and the wiper is on, it will return to the park position before popping the glass. Like stated above, if the step motor does not see the wiper in the right spot, it may not allow the glass to open. I am not 100% positive on this, but I can see it doing some other things than making the wiper not work properly. These trucks all come with a little white fuse puller on the inside of the fuse panel cover, drivers side dash. Nifty little things make me love these trucks

Old 06-15-2013, 02:53 PM
Starting Member

I was suprised, considering I am the 3rd owner. I see now why the latch wouldn't work. Considering there could be a dead-safety where the rear wiper could be in motion, disabling the hatch from popping as it could break the wiper. I know the wiper won't engage while the latch is open... figured that one out the hard way.

I'll post back an update if I get to tinkering with it. Thanks for the info, blown262

Old 06-16-2013, 05:40 PM
Starting Member
kmartin is an unknown quantity at this point

When I change that rear wiper blade, I quickly turned the rear wiper on and off and quickly ran back to pull the wiper the glass before going in its parked position. You do have to very quick however, and took me to do it a few times till I could beat it. Thats of course,if you have no one around to flip the switch for you. As far as that, thats about the olny way I could think of changing the wiper blade without breaking something. Its a wonder GM engineers didn't come up with something. As far as the windshield washer fluid, I always thought mine didn't work till I read the post. I even posted something on the forum to which no one informed me of that.

Old 06-16-2013, 05:46 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

make sure the rear window is latched shut or it wont work also. I changed my motor and turned it on without the wiper arm and the rear window open and wouldn`t work. Took a bit and some choice words before I figured it out

Old 06-20-2013, 05:52 AM
Starting Member

Well I figured out my problem! While I was installing my radio kit yesterday I found that I had forgot to plug in the wiper AND rear defrost when I had taken off the front to replace the stereo a few weeks ago.

Thanks for everyone's input

Old 06-20-2013, 06:37 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Badco
Well I figured out my problem! While I was installing my radio kit yesterday I found that I had forgot to plug in the wiper AND rear defrost when I had taken off the front to replace the stereo a few weeks ago.

Thanks for everyone's input
Ha! that was easy!