2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

96 Blazer fuel problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2008, 02:10 AM
Starting Member
Beckyj636 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 96 Blazer fuel problem

My 96 blazer has no power, and does like to stall if you suddenly press gas pedal.

The shop said the fuel pump has the volume but not the pressure. The believe the screen/filter may be plugged.

They want 450-500 to drop tank and replace the pump. NOW is there a good possibility the fuel filer is just dirty/clogged?

And ides/fuel additives they may help this problem till tax money come in?

Thank you

Old 12-25-2008, 04:20 AM
Beginning Member
in4lo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 96 Blazer fuel problem

Mine does that when I pull the vaccum hose off the intake. I did that as an experiment to see if it would fake cam out like my El Camino did when I did that, no dice... just ran like turds.

Boredom causes problems.

Old 12-25-2008, 07:51 AM
Starting Member
SockJock is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd definitely try replacing the fuel filter first. Oh and make sure you don't have any vacuum leaks. If it ends up being the fuel pump, you can replace it yourself for $200 or less in parts. The hardest part is getting the fuel filler/breather hoses loose from the tank.

Old 12-25-2008, 10:13 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

DO NOT buy the cheap fuel pumps. A good AC Delco pump will cost you more than $200.

As far as your problem, if you suspect that the filter is restricted, replace the filter. It is a fairly straight forward repair.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:23 PM
Starting Member

In your option could it be the filter. Tech said truck has volume just no pressure. I hate to just wast the money.

sure would have been convient if chevy mad a trap door in the bed of the truck to easily be able to remove the fuel pump. without having to remove the tank

Old 12-25-2008, 12:28 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Filter is cheap. Replace it yourself. If the pump really is going bad, it most likely will just prolong the inevitable if it does work. It also is a diagnostic point.

Your pump obviously creates the pressure necessary since it is starting. So I have to believe that the tech said it has the pressure, just not volume which would back up your observations of wanting to stall when you press on the gas. This further leads to the possibility of a clogged fuel filter.

Old 12-25-2008, 12:43 PM
Starting Member

Is this blazer a gen 1 or 2 The sticker on the door says something like 12/95 so I take is it is an 96 model.
this link https://blazerforum.com/m_99375/tm.htm says the fuse box is under the hood. Damn if I find it. The is 4 relays under the hood by the firewall, and fuse box by the driver door jam and liike 4 relayts in the glove box.. I have no idea what the relays are for.

Any ideas?

Old 12-25-2008, 12:56 PM
Administrator

That is a 98+ 2nd gen. The earlier second gens did not have the underhood fuse/relay center. Your fuel pump relay will be the one behind the glove box closest to the center of the truck as shown in the image below:

Old 12-25-2008, 12:58 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Becky, one of us is confused. In your thread title and in your first post, you call your truck a '96, but now you're asking if it is an '86. I believe you meant to ask if it is indeed a '96, which would make it a 2nd generation S10 Blazer.
Also, you should take Kyle's advice and change the fuel filter before going any further in trying to determine what might be wrong. First things first.

Old 12-25-2008, 01:06 PM
Administrator

Rich, I think he was asking about the specifics of the information in the Fuel Pump Replacement How-To.

Quick Reply: 96 Blazer fuel problem