2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cheap Secure Way to Fix Neg Camber Issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 08:43 PM
Starting Member
shotnva777 is on a distinguished road
Default Cheap Secure Way to Fix Neg Camber Issues

Hey guys... as you know I had severe negative camber issues on my 97 Blazer with a 6-7 inch lift and 35's. Since I purchased the truck I've been doing in depth searchs around the web looking for solutions. My options seemed to be either a new lift kit (1000's) or new LONGER upper control arms (which may not have worked and ran around 300+). My ONLY other option was to loosen the torque springs. Well this straightened the camber but gave me nearly no clearance and rode like hell. Every dip in the road I hit sounded like my tires were going immediately flat! (Still duno what that was) Anyways, I started seeing that S10s, yotas and other trucks were using the "flip the ball joint" trick and/or ball joint spacers to fix the same problem. I figured, why can't we do this?! Well come to find out WE can...

I bought these spacers, installed them, flipped the ball joints and it all fit like a glove! It actually gave me POSITIVE camber until I tightened back up those t bars! After that, perfection! Now I even have a little room for the alignment shop to adjust my STOCK a arms in or out!

I know that someone is going to come on this thread and bash me about my cv axles having too much stress/angle. Or the fact that its unsafe to have 4 bolts holding on my ball joint to the a arm. Well here's the explination... on the top of the arm I had someone fabricate me a stainless steel plate for it to bolt through along with lock nuts and lock washers. Its all safe and my cv axles sit perfect, much better than before. I'm excited and it finally got everything back in line by only spending $80. So if your looking for a legit way to straighten out that camber and not have your control arms being tugged on and all out of wack, here's your solution for under 100 bucks! Hope this helps SOMEONE, because this took me a WHILE to figure out a way... everyone made it seem impossible! Lol... here's the link to the spacers that fit PERFECT.
(Btw my cheap pump is still kickin it! It actually runs a HELLUVA lot better than the previous one - so it mustve been REAL CHEAP! HAHA)

http://www.airbagit.com/product-p/x2-bj-cv8200.htm

Old 08-24-2011, 09:05 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

thats great that you were able to cook up a fix.
do you have any pics so we can see what you did....might help to see it.

congrats again on the fix.

Old 08-25-2011, 05:32 AM
Starting Member

Yes I plan to disassemble the ball joints and a arms here in a week or so. Im installing NEW upper and lower ball joints and control arm bushings. I plan to do an in depth, step by step guide with pictures on the flip and spacer installation. Ill also do a before and after picture of the camber difference.

Just give me a little time and ill post it... I have to wait for payday and then the ordered parts to come in. Plus we have a hurricane about to hit us soon, out here in Virginia! It WILL be done, just a matter of when!

Old 09-21-2011, 11:36 PM
Beginning Member
BlazHerZR2 is on a distinguished road

would love to see the guide post it as you do it

Old 09-22-2011, 07:41 PM
Starting Member

I never got around to it bro... sorry! And its already been done, maybe when i change my control arm bushings I can do a how to. Its not hard at all, just take the bushings and bolt them on the bottom of the a arm instead of going threw them to bolt them on. That ALONE helps neg camber, with spacers I got POSITIVE camber and had to go get an alignment. Where before the a arms were MAXED OUT as far as goin lower.