2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Chevy Blazer 2001 LT - tune up??

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 08:10 PM
iamfrugal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Chevy Blazer 2001 LT - tune up??

I have a 2001 Chevy Blazer 4.3 L 4x4, 112,870 miles.

The problem: Feels like it is choking when I start from a stop, go up hillls or whenever I accelerate, like getting on to the highway.

I did a full tune up at 54k miles.

My service engine light is on. It blinks constantly.

I changed the fuel filter. Still doing it.

I am not convinced that it is the fuel pump. It almost feels like it is going to stall, but does go when I step on the gas.

I've used 93 octane a few tanks ago. Even put in some of the STP injector cleaner. Seemed to help, but now it's back and worse than ever.

I had the odbII read twice - once before changing fuel filter and once after changing fuel filter. Both time it says it's the ECS (electronic Coolant sensor).

I went to get an oil change thismorning and and obdII read #5 misfiring. They did not get theECS code.

I read the ECSsensor is to inform the computer of the engine's temperature so that fueling and ignition timing can be modified for all temperature operating modes.

I'm not convinced it's the alternator, either, since my lights are fine and have no dimming to them.

After an hour of "diagnosis" at $75/hour, they said the rotor and cap was gone. They were changed out and I was told that I was good to go.

NOPE! It's still doing it. I drove about 60 miles tonight.

This is so frustrating!!!!

Maybe it is a loose wire? What do I do - where do I look - to figure this out? I don't want to pay any more "diagnosis time" if I can do it myself.

I appreciate any advice anyone can offer. I need to go to Maine tomorrow, at least 200 miles. Not sure if I should take the blazer or not.

Thanks!

Tina in NH

Old 12-26-2008, 08:21 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Chevy Blazer 2001 LT - tune up??

Are you still getting a blinking SES light, because that's not good. It means a potentially engine damaging condition, usually a multiple misfire accompanied by the dreaded P0300 code. Check both connection ends of all the plug wires. How old are the plugs and wires?

Old 12-26-2008, 08:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A blinking CEL is an indication of a misfire (potentially damaging). It may be time to do another tune up (including the plugs & wires). You can test the wires with a spray bottle of water at night with the engine running. Mist down the wires in the dark and watch for a light show. If you see sparks, then the wires are leaking current. Plugs can be pulled and checked for signs of fouling before all out replacing them...

I would also recommend that you clean the throttle body, MAF sensor (use MAF specific cleaner), and EGR valve (new gasket).

Old 12-26-2008, 08:28 PM
iamfrugal is an unknown quantity at this point

They were changed out January 2006...at 54K miles.

Would they have checked the plugs and wires during the diagnosis time?[:@] Wait - that would have been too easy, right?

Looks like theblazer will be staying home tomorrow. Gotta drive the Dodge!

Tina in NH.