2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

chevy or gmc

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 04:33 AM
Beginning Member
98blazerrider is on a distinguished road
Default chevy or gmc

i have a stock gmc 98 jimmy 2 door 4x4, i f****** love it to death like any other jimmy and blazer owners but which is better if it is true? like blazer or jimmy?

Old 01-08-2012, 06:12 AM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Identical down to every nut and bolt with the exception of badging

Old 01-08-2012, 09:26 AM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Cosmetics is the only difference between them.

Old 01-08-2012, 09:38 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by AJBert
Cosmetics is the only difference between them.
Probably.. I havent found any real mech or elect differences since I've been on here. Judging from my brothers' many Suburbans and GMC equivalents, I wouldnt buy either. Wife and I have driven mid-trim Blazers, though... starting around 1991 when we went to a Chevy dealer to look at both new Blazers and new Geo Metros {yeah I know} and we left with a used Mustang Convertible, wife said dont EVER make me ride in a Chevy again!*.... and here's my take:
If you like the creature comforts, it's the Bravada. And I knew that long before I ever signed up here or bought one.

Assuming you care about such... some on here dont think it's important.
If it wasnt and there wasnt a difference I damn well would have bought an Exploder, Mountaineer, or Escape XLT.

Anyone cant tell the difference between Chevy seats and Bravada seats either has a numb *** and never had any back pain... or is an idiot. Those guys though are very concerned about lifting, and installing 2000 watt subs.
I'm not. I want close to Escalade as I can get cheap.

* - and that's a 'feature of the Chevy Marque' as far as I can tell. Wife went from driving a 95 Taurus GLE to a 98 Lumina similar trim.. and her major bitch was the seats. And when I say 'major bitch' I mean I heard about it constantly. She was right... there was NO comparison between the Taurus and Lumina seats, Might's well put good lawn chairs in a Chevy!

Only reason I didnt swap in seating from an up-trim Buick or Olds was there were other reasons I didnt want to keep the Lumina. But when my Dad owned it both he and mom used cushions and pillows and wouldnt leave home without them. Something they never did with their Delta 88 or the Grand Marquis before it and starting using cushions with the base {Chevy seats?} Buick Century they got after the Delta 88.
BTW, Wife also had that Delta 88 for a while and liked its seats well as her LTD and almost as much as her E1500 Club Van Captains seating

Last edited by pettyfog; 01-08-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 01-09-2012, 01:25 AM
Beginning Member

but i dont give one crap about comfort. im not driving around my whole life? if i want comfort i will take a lazy boy and nail that son of gun down and be comfortable EVERYWHERE I GO...and that sounds really good..hmmm

Old 01-09-2012, 04:34 PM
step66 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well:seat design & construction/durability actually IS a real factor! Why do you think my 09 Pete is already on its second seat at 410K? Driver comfort & control! My 97 Jimmy hurts my back & butt after only a quick 500 or 600 mile drive in one day! Seating really IS critical! GM seating is not the best,I loved my Crown Vic Country Squire wagon for long trips! Plus the 26 MPG out of the 302 at 70 mph-we used to call that car the couch! LOL!

Old 01-09-2012, 11:50 PM
Beginning Member

i wish i could go adventuring like that but i dont have enough knowledge of where some good lakes to go fish at yet but yes comfort in that situation would matter of course, i recently got my 98 jimmy and love it. love the 4x4. but havent noticed the uncomfortable seats in them..yet. haha i like cars that got the couch seats in the front very very chill and comfy

Last edited by 98blazerrider; 01-10-2012 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:20 PM
Beginning Member
hzl6cm is on a distinguished road

My daughter recently purchased a loaded '96 Jimmy with the leather interior and absolutely loves the seat comfort. She can drive all day and istill be comfortable. Back in the mid to late 90s when looking at various vehicles, when a vehicle was available with leather seats, they seemed to use better seat foam and the seats were generally much more comfortable than were the cloth versions in the lower trim lines - I don't think that is so much the case with new cars now. Also, remeber that these vehicles are getting old enough that the seats have a lot of wear, the foam breaks down, etc. With my daughter's Jimmy, it only had 81k miles on it, the main driver was a women, who must have been light (I didn't meet her, only her husband and son), becuase the seat wasn't broken down at all and was extremely comfortable.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:38 PM
mjt
Starting Member
mjt is on a distinguished road

I couldnt understand why GM discontinued Pontiac brand and kept GMC. There must be something that GMC makes and Chevy doesnt. Must be the big trucks. Still they could have combined the product lines that were common. They werent even smart enough to continue the Pontiac G8 as a Chevy G8. That was a nice lookin vehicle.