2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

clicking behind glove box

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 02:57 AM
p72lwor is an unknown quantity at this point
Default clicking behind glove box

There is a clicking behind the glove box it sounds like the directional is on. This happens when the weather is cold. I've replaced the diectional relay
with a heavy duty after market one and the noise continues. It stops when I put on the brakes and starts up again when the pedal is released. The noise goes away
when the Blazer is fully warmed up. The wipers are are also acting up now that the weather is cold.

Any suggestions?

Old 12-10-2006, 12:33 PM
Beginning Member
mellon101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: clicking behind glove box

Not sure what you are driving, but....
In my 96, there are 3 relays behind the glove box.
If you open your glovebox you will see a cover in the back that I think is labeled "relay access".

finding out which one is clicking might help your troubleshooting. I am not really sure what each of the three relays are for.

Old 12-10-2006, 01:39 PM
chevy_kalle is an unknown quantity at this point

have a friend feel which relay is clicking while you´re driving

Old 12-10-2006, 02:11 PM
Administrator
hillbillyinOhio has disabled reputation

i believe that the relays behind the glove compartment are fuel relays.

Also, what are the wipers doing???

Old 01-20-2007, 06:31 PM
TEMP Screenname is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have this problem on my '98 blazer. The clicking is from the combination relay ,behind the glove box.It does stop when the brakes are applied,but comes back whne they are released. WTF?????? DRIVING ME KKKRAZYYY.

Old 01-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had this for a couple of years. I replaced the clicking relay and it continues. Same location, same low-temp situation. Since the noise goes away when the brakes are depressed, it's obviously on the same circuit as the brake lights. I've attempted to trace the circuit in the shop manual but no luck - the newer manuals are a nightmare for tracing circuits.

Here's a weird one: the ONLY way I have found to make this stop - and it doesn't work all the time - is to poise one hand over the 4-way flasher switch and repeatedly punch it on and off. I mean onoffonoffonoff like a machine gun. About 80% of the time, that seems to stop the clicking. It may work with one or two cycles, or it may take a dozen. Just a wild guess is that the relay or something else in the system gets cycled enough times that it decides to stop acting up.

The research I've done connects it to the multi-function switch assembly on the steering column, but that's a fairly expensive and time-consuming item to work on, so I haven't tackled it.

Old 01-20-2007, 11:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have read that this is caused by the 4way switch malfunctioning. The switch is replaceable with fairly little disassembly and not a lot of $$$. Let me see what I can dig up on that...

Old 01-20-2007, 11:39 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes everyone the problem is in the multifunction switch, I have fixed several of these with a multi-switch. The hazard switch and it's contacts are in the multi-switch, but I believe I diagnosed these as the turn-signal switch in stead of the haz switch because it only happens with the ignition on. The hazard circuit is "hot" all the time and the turn cignal circuit is only hot with the key on. It could be the haz switch which is available seperately, but I can't say with certainty that it alone will fix your problem. I can say with certainty that the multifunction switch (turn/hazard/wiper/cruise/dimmer) WILL fix this concern.

Old 01-21-2007, 01:20 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the confirmation. I've also tried flipping the tilt wheel up and down repeatedly to see if perhaps iit was a bad wire that might be moved - but I can't recall that ever working.

This can come and go, too. A couple of years ago it happened all the time in my '99 - but last winter, much less, and this winter, not at all. Go figure.

Cycling the 4-way flasher switch quickly, multiple times, is the best temporary workaround I can offer. Probably makes ones' lights flash in an interesting way while cruising down the street, though. I suppose it might be worth trying a generous spray of contact cleaner in the switch.

Old 01-21-2007, 07:32 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

Lastcoupe is right on the money with this one!! Replacing the multifunction switch will cure all your clicking woes!!!! Korey.

Quick Reply: clicking behind glove box