2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Constant clicking from black box (relay?) under dash on driver's side - NOT blinker issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 07:01 PM
enigmattic is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Constant clicking from black box (relay?) under dash on driver's side - NOT blinker issue

I don't know if this issue has already been addressed or not. I didn't find it with a search at any rate. I do know that it is NOT the faulty blinker issue as it is coming from underneath the driver's side dashboard. Also the clicking is a continuous rapid-fire sound, not the typical slow and steady blinker cadence, and is present whether the vehicle is running or not. Last June I had electrical issues (A fuse blew affecting the security system, door locks, and other things) and had this same problem. While the dashboard was apart I found this noise was coming from a black box tucked up under the dash near the the fuse box. This black box was not mounted to anything, it was just wedged in there among the other knots of wiring. At the time I took a picture of it (see below) to show a friend who was trying to help me diagnose the problem I was having at the time. After I changed the fuse this problem went away.

Just recently it has become necessary to replace my water pump, but I had to let the truck sit for a while as I didn't have time to work on it. When I was ready to get started the battery was dead. After a jump-start this issue with the clicking noise returned. Maybe the clicking was triggered by the power drain?

In any case I have no idea what the issue is or how to fix it. Does anyone know what this black box is and have any suggestions on how to remedy the issue?

Please help! Thanks!

M

http://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g1...100_4567-1.jpg

[IMG]local://upfiles/13436/F165A319026944B3A5E456C7B8701796.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-28-2008, 07:48 PM
Starting Member
volfan4 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Constant clicking from black box (relay?) under dash on driver's side - NOT blinker issue

it looks like the keyless entry control box. It will click when it doesn't have enough power to operate to poweer locks. I had the same issue when my battery went bad. I replaced the battery and the problem went away.

Old 12-28-2008, 08:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Constant clicking from black box (relay?) under dash on driver's side - NOT blinker issue

That is not a factory box... Looks like a dealer add on... Are there any numbers on the box? What happens if you disconnect the box? What functions do you loose?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Starting Member
volfan4 is an unknown quantity at this point

could it be an alarm system from the dealer?

Old 12-28-2008, 08:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It is quite possible. I wonder where the disconnected brown wire went... Possibly the horn?

Old 12-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Redneckgirl is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same issue with my blazer when I first got it. The clicking noise was very annoying. I believe the black box is for the keyless entry. I just unhooked and removed the black box, nomore clicking noises.Didn't loose any functions at all although I didn't not have the keyless remote to use anyway. But all my locks and everything still works.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:06 AM
enigmattic is an unknown quantity at this point

thanks for all the quick responses. The clicking black does appear to be the keyless entry system, but now the issue appears to be a power drain. Yesterday after jumping at @ 11:am I let it run a bit, turned it off, waited a while and she fired right up. didn't come back to it until 6:30ish that night and it started right up. I went to the store and was inside for at least a half an hour. Came back out and it started right up. Drove it home and parked it thinking it was all ok. Ten minutes later I had to move it and it was dead again! What the heck is causing this??? Grr....