2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

coolant temperature sensor

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2008, 06:08 PM
Starting Member
truesmack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default coolant temperature sensor

Where is the coolant temperature senor on a 2001 blazer, v6? I went to advance auto parts because my engine light was on, and that is one of the 2 codes that came up. We reset the system and the light is off for now, but if it comes back on I might try changing the sensor if I can find it, because its relatively cheap also. Thank you.

Old 06-23-2008, 07:03 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: coolant temperature sensor

Driver side cylinder head between cylinders 3 & 5 above the exhaust manifold. Just look off the front of the master cylinder down to the cylinder head and you'll see it.

If you are considering changing the ECT sensor (engine coolant temp), then you probably should flush the engine, radiator, and heater core. Replace the old coolant with fresh coolant mixed with distilled water. Before you get it all filled back up, replace the thermostat and radiator cap. Now your cooling system is in tip top condition!

Old 06-23-2008, 11:56 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I had my ECT sensor trip a code on my Range Rover (code was ECT value high), and the problem was just that it was low on coolant, leading to rising temp, which throws that code through the ECT. So you might not have a bad sensor at all

Old 06-24-2008, 09:38 AM
portcqb is an unknown quantity at this point

Just another location pointer if you look to the right of the second plug on the drivers side you will see it next to the spark plug.

Old 06-24-2008, 09:47 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here ya go:

Old 06-24-2008, 11:40 AM
Starting Member

I don't really see any reason why to flush the coolant, because I had to put in a new radiator only about 6 months ago. But thanks for the info, have to check it out and locate it still.

Old 06-24-2008, 11:53 AM
Administrator

No way we could have known that you replaced your radiator. Should be good on the coolant then. I would definitely recommend replacing the t-stat and radiator cap if you didn't already do that 6mos ago as well...

Old 06-24-2008, 11:56 AM
Starting Member

Yeah, its cool, I was just saying, thank for the info, and you had a good idea certainly if I hadn't already done all that.