2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Cost to Replace Brakes Really?????

Old 07-22-2011, 10:55 AM
hazelnut28 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Cost to Replace Brakes Really?????

I just moved to a new town for a job and the apartment complex does not allow to work on cars in the parking lot. My rear brakes are shot and are really bad and my front only has about 10% left. So took it to a shop for brakes and rotors/drums. They just called me $1200 to do it. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!! I can do it myself for way less than half that. This seems way to high to me. Thoughts??? Or anyone in Omaha with a garage I can borrow?

2001 Blazer LT 4x4

Old 07-22-2011, 11:00 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

It could be ridiculously high, but that depends on what needs to be replaced.

Pads for all 4 corners (rear are disk brakes) shouldn't be more than $80 all told for premium pads. Rotors may run upwards of $300 total (off the top of my head, not looking up prices) depending on what you get.

The worst part of the whole thing is the likelihood that the internal drum parking brakes might be froze up inside the rear rotor hat and/or that the slider pins are rusted solid into the caliper brackets. The caliper brackets are only ~$10 each and a hardware kit shouldn't be much more than that. The parking brakes can be expensive though.

If the dust-shield(s) on the rear axle are shot, then it can get real expensive as well. There's quite a bit of labor associated with replacing one of those since you have to pull the axle shaft out.

I guess I would get an itemized quote to see what they are replacing. How do your rear rotors look?

Old 07-22-2011, 11:42 AM

I am not sure how they looked but they grind pretty good. I have been traveling with work an when I flew back last week noticed the grinding leaving the airport. Its bad but I never heard them make any noise before and all off sudden bad metal grinding.

I got them to drop it $600 if he can roll back the piston and not replace it and leave the front brakes alone for now. I am kind of stuck with my options I got to get to work some how.

I like my blazer but I paid $6000 a couple of years ago and prob put another $4000 fixing the random things that break on it. Its stock no modifications to at all. I understands it happens but now I cant fix them myself anymore. Its getting to the point were it is unreliable. I want to just drive it in the river and be done with it.

Does anyone else have something break on there's every couple of weeks that is $200-$300 to fix.

Sorry if I ranted just a little frustrated right now

Old 07-22-2011, 11:50 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

600 is still high man there taking you for a ride in the bank park. i say shop around for prices.

unless you buy the parts and they just charge you labor , OR you could park someplace away from home and do them . like a friends driveway or family member

or a parking lot with a nice shady spot

Old 07-22-2011, 12:10 PM

Yeah the problem is just moved here 3 weeks ago traveling with work for 2 weeks don't know anyone yet. Ill just flipping pay to get the back brakes done so i can at least drive it back to wisconsin and use one of my families garages. Any one want an 2001 blazer fully loaded ill fix everything.

Old 07-22-2011, 12:33 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

i wish you were in ny id help ya . just parts would cost us 300 bucks unless you wanna use cheap pads

Old 07-22-2011, 01:10 PM
pheaton is on a distinguished road

Do it in a parking lot. Most places won't even know or care.

As for the fixing the car. Mine has been nothing but work since I got it a couple months ago. I got it dirt cheap so I'm not to the breaking point yet. But yes it's been a lot of time and money in repairs. The odometer doesn't even have 100k on it yet although I'm not sure, because the engine has been swapped previously. Now that I have the engine running decent, it's got all kinds of other work that needs to be done. I keep hoping that a few more hundred dollars and this thing will be golden for awhile. I think it's getting closer. It's gotta be running out of bad parts by now. . haha

Speaking of venting, I saw a guy draining/filling his coolant in the Walmart parking lot yesterday. He was letting it drain right onto the ground. I called the police on him. I don't care if you work on your stuff in Walmart's lot. I understand desperate times call for desperate measures. But to cause an environmental event and just expect that you can leave it is wrong. .

Old 07-22-2011, 01:37 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by pheaton
Do it in a parking lot. Most places won't even know or care.

As for the fixing the car. Mine has been nothing but work since I got it a couple months ago. I got it dirt cheap so I'm not to the breaking point yet. But yes it's been a lot of time and money in repairs. The odometer doesn't even have 100k on it yet although I'm not sure, because the engine has been swapped previously. Now that I have the engine running decent, it's got all kinds of other work that needs to be done. I keep hoping that a few more hundred dollars and this thing will be golden for awhile. I think it's getting closer. It's gotta be running out of bad parts by now. . haha

Speaking of venting, I saw a guy draining/filling his coolant in the Walmart parking lot yesterday. He was letting it drain right onto the ground. I called the police on him. I don't care if you work on your stuff in Walmart's lot. I understand desperate times call for desperate measures. But to cause an environmental event and just expect that you can leave it is wrong. .

draining coolant on the floor is bad

but changing brakes in a parking lot isn't

i need to start reading over my posts cause im loosing it

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 07-22-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:39 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
draining coolant on to the floor is bad but not as bad too change brakes in walmarts lot LOL
How in the world does that make sense to you? So creating a hazard for other people/animals is worse than swapping parts??? Not that I am condoning either one...Do you think about what you type before posting?

Old 07-22-2011, 01:49 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by swartlkk
How in the world does that make sense to you? So creating a hazard for other people/animals is worse than swapping parts??? Not that I am condoning either one...Do you think about what you type before posting?

lol i didnt realize i said that i think the heats getting to me .

any ways draining coolant is bad any where you do it

but changing pads in walmarts lot isnt bad ive seen people do it

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cost to Replace Brakes Really?????