2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dash Brake light stays on

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Beginning Member
armydad71 is on a distinguished road
Default Dash Brake light stays on

My 97 Blazer had a hole in the break line by the rear wheels and I fixed it and tried bleeding braked and my brake light on my dash still stays on.....I am wondering if there is a sensor in the ABS that reads an air bubble or something that needs reset.

Old 10-30-2010, 06:38 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by armydad71
My 97 Blazer had a hole in the break line by the rear wheels and I fixed it and tried bleeding braked and my brake light on my dash still stays on.....I am wondering if there is a sensor in the ABS that reads an air bubble or something that needs reset.
fill your brake fluid reservoir...

Old 10-30-2010, 07:18 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you have already filled the reservoir, try tapping on the side of it. The low fluid level sensor maybe stuck.

Old 10-30-2010, 07:20 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If you have already filled the reservoir, try tapping on the side of it. The low fluid level sensor maybe stuck.
I have filled the reservoir and will try and tap the side tomorrow whn it is ligh out. Thanks guys!!

Old 10-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

3 things can illuminate the red brake light on the dash: Proportioning valve not centered, park brake is on, or a failure in the EBCM, (if that happens, the ABS light will also be on). There is no fluid level sensor in the master cylinder. When your rear brake line sprouted a leak, the proportioning valve shut off the rear hydraulic system and turned the light on. The centering valve inside the prop valve needs to be centered. Open a front bleeder, a quick jab and release on the brake pedal will unseat the valve, then you can bleed the system. If the master cylinder went dry, you will need an ABS capable scan tool to perform the automated bleed.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:43 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
3 things can illuminate the red brake light on the dash: Proportioning valve not centered, park brake is on, or a failure in the EBCM, (if that happens, the ABS light will also be on). There is no fluid level sensor in the master cylinder. When your rear brake line sprouted a leak, the proportioning valve shut off the rear hydraulic system and turned the light on. The centering valve inside the prop valve needs to be centered. Open a front bleeder, a quick jab and release on the brake pedal will unseat the valve, then you can bleed the system. If the master cylinder went dry, you will need an ABS capable scan tool to perform the automated bleed.
The ABS light is not on.
If I need the ABS Scan tool, Is that something cheap enough I can buy and do, autozone have one or major garage? If a shop what would be the average price to do that?

Old 10-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

This is a very basic ABS code reader, it is not a scan tool: http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...89_T%7CGRP2018____

Most of the ABS systems that GM uses, clear the DTC's when the ignition is turned off and runs a self test on every start up. This code reader will only read DTC's on certain ABS systems. It will clear DTC's and turn the light off only on certain systems, provided there are no hard faults present. It will NOT access the automated bleed function. As far as a cost to hire it done, you'll need to check with local shops.

If you can center the valve, open one bleeder at a time and gravity bleed each wheel. Then you can bleed it like a conventional system. If the pedal is still mushy, you'll need to do the automated bleed. First thing is to center the valve and get the light to go off.

Old 10-31-2010, 05:55 PM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Captain Hook
fair enough, my 01 there is a fluid sensor.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:40 PM

The brake fluid level sensor can also turn on the brake warning light but, S&T body didn't start using them until 2000

Old 10-31-2010, 06:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Good to know. I knew my '00 Bravada had one cause I had to mess with it. I really didn't have a reason to look on any of the earlier 2nd gens I've worked on.

Quick Reply: Dash Brake light stays on