2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dead battery or alternator?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:11 PM
Starting Member
pmezo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Dead battery or alternator?

Went to start the car and it's dead.... typical dead battery ticking noise.

I got a battery pack hooked up to the battery and within seconds the car fired up. Took the battery pack off right after the car turned on and drove a couple miles without any problems.

Got home and turned the car off. Sat for a minute and went to turn the car back on and i get the same ticking noise.

Now when i was driving, i was looking to see if the battery was charging on the dash and it wasnt. I don't know how accurate the dash is, but it always told me it was charging around 12-14 amps before.

So am i dealing with a dead battery that just needs a charge or is my alternator done?

Old 01-07-2010, 02:24 PM
mhartzel is on a distinguished road

I'd borrow a charger and let it sit for a few hours on a low current then test again. If the vehicle won't start afterwords, I'd look at a new alternator.

Or, take the alternator/battery off, drive a different vehicle to your local APS and have them test the alternator/battery. If it tests good, buy a new alternator/battery while you're there.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:57 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I would take the truck to AutoZone or Advance Auto and let them test the battery and alternator under load to see if either is failing.

Old 01-07-2010, 03:58 PM
Starting Member

Kind of off topic from my original problem, but I wanted to take the battery out to give it a nice charge over night, but the bolt on the positive terminals so stripped that I couldn't get the battery out.

I tried vice grips, but it's so stripped, that wouldn't even do it. Any tips to loosen this terminal up to get this battery out?

Old 01-07-2010, 04:09 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Hhmm, that might be part of the problem.

Old 01-07-2010, 04:21 PM
Starting Member

Any idea how to get the stripped bolt out?

And why would a stripped bolt be part of the problem? Batterys in there good and the dash says it's not charging?

Old 01-07-2010, 07:12 PM
BF Guru

Bad connection causing a drain when the engine is off and the alternator is not charging the battery.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:49 PM
Starting Member

Finally got the battery off after putting in some effort with the vice grips. Whats a pain in the *** that was.

Now i'm going to charge it overnight and head off to autozone tomorrow to check my alternator. Hopefully its just a dead battery, but ive got a feeling i'll be needing a new alternator.

Oh and how easy is it to replace those terminals where the battery bolts in to? The positive part is really stripped and was really a hastle to get loose.

Old 01-07-2010, 09:21 PM
Banned
Spectreblazer is on a distinguished road

not sure about the terminals but when my alternator went which was 2 days ago. the gauge on the dash was only reading 9. 3 bolts are all that hold those alternators on and take the tension off your serpentine. they are not cheap 130 with exchange at napa. not to bad to change out. i had 120,000 miles so if your getting close might not be a bad thing to think about changing out. better changing it before your stranded

Old 01-07-2010, 09:25 PM
zedartwo will become famous soon enough

Look for GM side post adapters. Makes life way easier. Its a normal screw in terminal but with another threaded end on the other side so if you have other power sources you don't have to disconnect everything, just the post from the battery. Plus they are nice and shiny new! You can find them at any GOOD car audio place (not best buy or chain stores)

http://i.i.com.com/cnwk.1d/sc/31611764-2-200-0.gif

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dead battery or alternator?