2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Starter or Flywheel Issue?

Old 08-13-2012, 10:12 AM
Beginning Member
BlazerBabe is on a distinguished road
Default Starter or Flywheel Issue?

I noticed sometimes when I start the vehicle A slight click then a grinding noise. My guess was Starter going bad? When I took it to shop they said it was just sensitive??? So I try to go easy on it like they say and it seems to be ok but then it starts doing it again usually when its been sitting for a while but if I drive around a while and go to start it it does not make the noise. It does start up fine though but I worry if it is the starter going it will damage the Flywheel? I feel like I need a second opinion because I know this is not normal.... Thanks

Old 09-08-2012, 10:55 PM
Beginning Member

I was hoping someone could help... upon start up noise has gotten worse. The shop says nothing is wrong but it doesn't do it everytime just some of the time which is becoming alot of the time... Starting my vehicle it does the grinding noise like it's the starter going but also a click click click click..... I know vehicles and I know something is not right. My guess is the starter but no one will listen to me, they say it's just sensitive.... Bularkey!? Is there anyone that can help me? If someone just takes time to look at it and LISTEN I know they can see and HEAR what I'm talking about....? Thanks!

Old 09-09-2012, 06:29 AM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

It may be a starter problem but it it more likely to be one or more damaged teeth on starter ring in front of the torque converter. A 6 cylinder engine will always come to a stop in one of 3 places (as a cylinder comes up on compression) so wear in that area is usually more severe in those areas. You can prove this by rotating the engine 30-40 degrees clockwise using a socket on the crank pulley bolt before attempting to start it. If the problem doesn't occur then you have proved it. If it is the starter ring gear then the only way to solve it is to remove the treansmission to replace it.
As a matter of interest is your battery fully charged & in good condition as well & do you have a good earth connection there as well as to the frame & engine? If the starter doesn't get full current that can make it act up as well.

Last edited by DaveHearne; 09-09-2012 at 06:31 AM.
Old 09-09-2012, 10:32 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by DaveHearne
If it is the starter ring gear then the only way to solve it is to remove the treansmission to replace it.
Or you could save yourself the trouble of pulling the transmission to check the gears on your starter by simply pulling the starter itself.

If, indeed, it is the fly wheel, then yes, you must remove the tranny to remove the fly wheel.

Perhaps there is a bit lost in translation from across the pond.

Old 09-10-2012, 12:14 AM
Starting Member
DaveHearne is on a distinguished road

Yes - good point AJBert, I should have mentioned that you can indeed remove the starter & look through the opening at the gear teeth on the flywheel ring gear. It may still be worth tuning the crank a few degrees before trying to start the vehicle to see if the problem disappears, that would help to prove it was damaged teeth on the flywheel as well before having to remove anything at all.

Keep us posted as to what the eventual problem is.

Old 09-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Beginning Member

Great.... thanks for advice. I will look into it as soon as I get a chance. Funds are limited so I pray it's nothing to major! I will let yall know what it happens to be! Thanks again!