2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

died while driving

Old 07-27-2005, 09:13 PM
Charidy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default died while driving

ok so im on my way to a doctors appointment. I leave my house turn the corner going about 25mph when all of a sudden my 99 Chevy Blaser fell dead. Radio still works, light and horn too. I try to start it back up but it wont. I replaced the battery. Still will not work. i got codes run on it still nothing. The guy asked if I had all my car notes paid up because they can push a button and turn off my car. But Im all caught up on my car notes.

The machanices have had it for 2 days saying I dont know what it is. He said it might be the timing chain. and if I was going over 35 it may have messed up some plugs?! If any of you have any ideas I would love to hear them.

Thank you

Old 07-28-2005, 07:01 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: died while driving

Never heard of the push button thing before. On-Star maybe, but I seriously doubt it.

IS this a dealer mechanic?
Unusual for it to die all of a sudden, unless it is out of gas.

Has your security light been coming on randomly while your driving?
I had a problem with my security system. They said they replaced the ignition switch, however I think all they did was turn it off. I have never had a problem since. Even when my security system was acting up, it never turned the truck off while running. It wouldn't let me start it a few times, however the security light always came on when it acted up. Just a thought, and something you might want to mention to the mechanic.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:27 PM
Charidy is an unknown quantity at this point

No it was not the dealership shop that I first took it too it was a friend of the familys shop that I took it to. No lights ever came on to indicate any problems. It was just like any other day of driving just fine and then it kinda hezitated while driving and then fell dead and never started up again.

But yesterday I did have it towed to my dealer he got his machanic to check it out and my hubby said that they said it was some injector or injectors. Im not quite sure at this moment because he just called but the price to get it fixed will be $500.00+ dollars. So if you know what Im talking about please let me know. seriously because I have no idea.

Old 08-21-2005, 07:47 PM
Phatboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Check to see if you have fuel going to the engine by checking the "schrader valve" (looks like a tire valve stem) when that is pushed fuel will come out (care should be exercised fuel is under pressure). If you do have fuel, should be lots, It could be the distributor pole peice magnet. Mine did the same thing, I was going down the interstate and it just bogged down and cut off. It would crank over and start only if I reved it up but it would not run worth a crap and stall if the gas was let off. You will have spark at the wires but with the magnet being cracked it sparks at the wrong time. Hope this helps.

Old 08-22-2005, 02:18 PM
gmyoyo is an unknown quantity at this point

My son's '95 did the same thing. Died riding down the road. It would turn over, but would not crank. I ran test to try and pinpoint problem. After having the fuel pressure tested via the schrader valve with a fuel pressure gauge I determined it to be the fuel pump. I say with a pressure gauge because I first determined that I was getting fuel delivered, it just wasn't enough pressure to allow the car to start. It had to have between 58-64 psi I believe, and mine tested at somewhere between 20 and 30. Have your's tested. It's a simple thing to do, if you or someone you know is willing, you can do it yourself with a $35 pressure gauge from the Auto store. Maybe they will even loan one, I went ahead and just bought mine. Hope that helps some...

The valve on mine was located at the back top of the engine just in front of the firewall on the drivers side. It should have a cap on in. You just screw the pressure test gauge on. Be ready to catch the run off gasoline with a gas can or something, as you will have a button to releive the pressure on the gauge and it will drain a small amount of gas out through tube.