2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Disabling ABS

Old 03-25-2007, 01:25 PM
Beginning Member
mikepro is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Disabling ABS

1999 S series Blazer 4x4. What can I do to disable the ABS. Over the winter I simply pulled the fuse from the fusebox in the dash but this also supplies the cruise control. With the snow melting I've put the fuse back in so I have cruise control but the ABS are just too frigin' sensitive. Don't like ABS anyway. Too oldschool. Thanks

Old 03-25-2007, 01:51 PM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Disabling ABS

Why does every other person want to disable thier ABS here? If ithas not been proved to be better than no ABS, then the OEM's would not install it on almost every vehicle that they produce. If it is working like it should, just leave it alone, it could help you avoid an accident someday!! If yours is giving you fits then maybe you need to clean your front sensors. Just remove them, and file the bearing where they sit, wipe everything down, and reinstall. On mine it will not activate unless I really cram on the brakes on a slippery surface, and I love it. I thought I was old school also, until I bought my Blazer with ABS, now I wouldn't be without it.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:16 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I for one do not feel that removing the ABS is worth the effort in the case of GM vehicles. Since they use a seperate brake fluid resevoir to engage the ABS, you would have to remove that along with the sensors and computer programing could run into thousands of dollars. Not to mention the insurance discounts you loose if you remove it and don't notify the insurance company (insurance fraud). All it takes like KorDog says is to remove the sensors from the hub, remove any rust build up that is between the sensor and mounting surface. It might also be a problem with the sensor wires or sensor itself so just replace it and move on.

Taking the ABS off the vehicle is not money well spent in my opinion...

Old 03-25-2007, 06:19 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

Taking the ABS off the vehicle is not money well spent in my opinion
True.
Since they use a seperate brake fluid resevoir to engage the ABS, you would have to remove that along with the sensors and computer programing could run into thousands of dollars.
Not true.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Starting Member
pilgrim is an unknown quantity at this point

If you defeat your ABS and later have a collision, pray that no accident investigator checks to see whether it was defeated. Disabling safety equipment exposes you to huge liability issues. An injured passenger riding in your vehicle could sue your shorts off.

In short: bad idea, don't do it. Learn to use ABS and live with it.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:29 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

The only times my ABS kicked in this winter is when I was on glare ice, or black ice, or tromped on the brakes really hard.... And that's running the factory Wrangler RT/S tires!

On older vehicles, sometimes the ABS is so crappy you'll do betterby removing it... But it's come a long way since 1993 (my last vehicle with ABS... Pulled the fuse.)

If it's kicking in really really easy... Then maybe your tires aren't really meant for snow and ice, lol

Old 03-25-2007, 09:27 PM
Beginning Member
mikepro is an unknown quantity at this point

The ice and snow is gone and the ABS is kicking in randomly on dry pavement, enough to drive anyone nuts. It is the fronts that are acting up. Particularly the right front. Pulled the wheel to see if there was easy access to the sensor but it looked like you have to pull the caliper and the hub then remove the rotor???

Old 03-25-2007, 09:39 PM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

That means that the system isn't working right... There's probably rust at the sensor or something like that...

You'll have to search for how to clean and/or look at that one, as I don't know anything about it since I haven't had the that problem yet...

Old 03-25-2007, 10:10 PM
turboxb9s is an unknown quantity at this point

Someone can correct me if they know I'm wrong but I believe the front wheel speed sensors are built into the wheel bearing/hub assemblies and are not accessable without damaging the hole assembly. Chances are that hub/bearing assembly with sensor will need to be replaced because the sensor inside is proably damaged/cracked. One way you could disconnect the ABS for cheap money is to disconnect any one or both of the front sensors. The rear sensor should be on the pumpkin as I believe it only has one for both rear wheels. Disconnecting any one of these sensors should cause the ABS light and possibly the brake light to come on and stay on but the abs system will be shut down. In the case of an accident you could just play stupid and say it was like that as long as you've owned it or if you bought it new instead of unplugging the connectors, rip them out as if something on the road ripped them out and just say that must have been what happened.

Old 03-25-2007, 10:34 PM
BF Veteran

I think the sensor itself screws into the hub, and reads magnets or something on the hub itself... I think, lol

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Disabling ABS