2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Disabling ABS

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 12:50 AM
DetroitMuscle is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Disabling ABS

Mine doesnt work to a bad sensor, and I couldnt be happier. Id like to remove mine completely.

s10forum.com might have a tech article on how to disable the ABS on a late model.

Old 03-26-2007, 01:51 AM
Kordog is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: mikepro

The ice and snow is gone and the ABS is kicking in randomly on dry pavement, enough to drive anyone nuts. It is the fronts that are acting up. Particularly the right front. Pulled the wheel to see if there was easy access to the sensor but it looked like you have to pull the caliper and the hub then remove the rotor???
Just pull the caliper and bracket, then slide off the rotor. The sensor is right there then. One allen bolt and it slides off, then clean it. GM has a TSB on this problem, and on some models a recall. You can check with a dealer to see if yours has one also.

Old 03-26-2007, 03:45 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

Anyone ever thought of removing the fuse for the abs ?

Old 03-26-2007, 04:03 AM
BF Veteran
drperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the roughdrperry is a jewel in the rough

You'll have the ABS light stuck on, and it seems that the cruise control is on the same circuit... I think the power assist on the brakes is vacuum, so at least they'll still be easy to work...

Old 03-26-2007, 09:52 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

GM has a TSB on this problem, and on some models a recall. You can check with a dealer to see if yours has one also
I think the TSB and I know the recall..only applies to full-size trucks and sport utes.
Someone can correct me if they know I'm wrong but I believe the front wheel speed sensors are built into the wheel bearing/hub assemblies and are not accessable without damaging the hole assembly.
You are wrong, but not entirely. The reluctor ring is built into the hub, but the sensor itself is bolted to the outside of it like Kordog said.
The problem you are having is caused by rust bulding up on the mounting surface of the hub (between the hub and the wheel speed sensor(WSS). This forces the sensor farther away from the reluctor which makes a bigger air gap between the reluctor ring and the WSS and whenthe truckis just about to stop the speed signal drops off because the sensor is too far away from the reluctor to generate a signal, sothe EBCM (electronic brake control module) thinks the wheel is locking up and itactivates the ABS. Youremove the wheel,caliper,caliper bracket and rotor, and then a 5 or 6MM hex bit (allen wrench) to remove the bolt holding the sensor in...carefully remove the sensor with pliers and sand the rust off of the hub surface and check the mounting flange of the WSS for flatness...if it's flat clean and dry the hub mounting surface and paint it twice with a rust-inhibiting paint...let it dry and apply a thin layer of wheel bearing grease to the o-ring on the sensor and reinstall it. Repeat for the other side and you once again have great brakes with no warning lights and no wories of lawsuits if you have the missfortune of running over someone.....

Old 03-27-2007, 06:37 PM
JustBlaze! is an unknown quantity at this point

The recall affects 1993 -1996 Blazer, Jimmy, Bravada, S10 Pickups, GMC Pickups, Chevy Vans inlc. Astro, GMC Savana.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...callsearch.cfm