2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

disabling DRL's

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:48 PM
newellb is on a distinguished road
Default disabling DRL's

I got a 99 GMC Jimmy for my girlfriend and just put HID's in it for her. They recommend that i shut the DRL off so that it doesn't burn the ballast up. I have tried the dome over ride button, the relay under the hood, and the brake. The brake works, but she doesn't like having the light on the dash on. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 02-23-2010, 12:02 PM
beefgravy is on a distinguished road

In the fuse panel on the drivers side is an actual inline fuse for this. Pull this and that will kill the relay and all power to the drl's. Just did this myself, I hate drls, I like to run parking lights at dusk for a cool look.lol

Old 02-23-2010, 12:13 PM
Ryanmatt135 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by beefgravy
I hate drls, I like to run parking lights at dusk for a cool look.lol
Thats what i did! I HATE DRL'S and also love the parking lights look :P

You own a delorean? I Love those cars!!!! any pics?

Old 02-23-2010, 01:12 PM

I do, its cool but wife says one of my toys has to go and I am not selling my Hudson so I am dumping the Delorean...sad I know. I want to get a trashed one to rebuild. Mine is really cool because it has the certificate of origin, it was bought and sold and drove in Ireland before a collector shipped it here, should fetch a good penny.

No pics, I will have to take some soon and post em.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:21 AM
Magri is on a distinguished road

I feel ya on this one newellb. I dont usually comment on any posts or post anything but I have a 99 Jimmy and a 99 Sonoma and they're the hardest out of all years and models to disable the DRL's so here ya go.... Pulling the DRL fuse and or relay from under the hood won't work, it will just leave you with one headlight. You have to pull the DRL relay from the relay center under the hood and bend over the #86, i believe it is, pin to the side of the relay so it no longer makes a connection. You can tape it or w/e so it doesnt ground out on anything. This will make the DRL's at least "controllable." When you start the truck, you wont have lights until you put it into gear and then they will turn on, but unlike before, if you turn the headlight switch to the parking lights the headlights will turn off and you will have only parking lights. To get rid of the Auto headlights, which is a different feature than the DRL's you have to pull out the passenger side dash speaker grill and put a resistor in the plug in order to trick it into thinking it is always light out. The only bad thing about the DRL delete is that if you also have the auto headlights gone, when you put your truck in gear, the lights turn on like i mentioned, but It's bad at night becuase when this happens your taillights, lisenseplate lights, dash lights, ect won't be on. They all turn on when you turn the headlight switch to the parking lamps, or headlamps, so you just have to be careful when taking off at night that you turn the switch on and not forget or you won't actually have taillights. Sry for the long reply, just trying to explain all the bull**** i ran into with it so you wouldn't be confused. It does sound a little sketchy, but its all legit and this is the ONLY way to get rid of the DRL's and Auto lights on a 99 Jimmy or Sonoma.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:56 AM

Wow, that sux, guess GM got wind we were turning the drl's off and made it hard for us...lol

Now that I think about it your right. 99's and above doesnt the left or right drl go out when you turn on that turnsignal...

They be crafty...lol

Old 02-24-2010, 11:30 AM
Magri is on a distinguished road

They both go off when you turn on the turnsignal in either 98 or 99 and above Bravada's, Jimmy's, Sonoma's and Envoys and they didnt incorporate the dome override trick until 2000... I probably had at least 4 straight hours of searching on the internet, blazerforum included, to figure out how to do it. My favorite part about the lights being on when I'm in gear but not the tail's or plate lights is that if i ever have somebody behind me with really annoying flashing red lights and I just wanted to hit a back road and make a lot of dust or go through more snow than they're car could......which i of course i would never do....lol, i can, or i mean would just turn the switch to off and still be able to see and make it harder for them to see me... But thats all theoretical of course...lol

Last edited by Magri; 02-24-2010 at 11:36 AM.