2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Distributor rotor hitting bottom of cap

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2009, 07:34 PM
Beginning Member
mwillia is on a distinguished road
Default Distributor rotor hitting bottom of cap

I installed a new dist. in my 99' 4.3 blazer because I had a slight misfire at highway speeds. Ran great for about 30 miles and than started to miss real bad. Limped it back home and pulled the dist. cap off and the center contact on the rotor was broke off and the top of the rotor was hitting the bottom of the dist. cap. When I installed the dist. there was no rototational play on the rotor. Now there is a good 10 deg. play counter clockwise in which the rotor rises as I turn it. ( The original dist. had this same play in it, but no contact) I tried to pull the dist. back out to check the gear and bearings and it will only come up about 1/2" and stop. I am stumped on this one. Any help on this one would great.

Old 11-12-2009, 05:13 AM
Beginning Member

WOW,this has never happened to anyone else? Could it be that I am that unlucky?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:03 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There should not be that much play in the distributor. You have a bad distributor. Somehow the shaft is allowing the gear to lift along the cam gear causing the rotor to hit the cap. You'll have to get it out somehow.

And you can curb the sarcasm. You could have simply bumped the post instead.

Old 11-12-2009, 06:25 PM
Beginning Member

How do you BUMP?

Old 11-12-2009, 07:43 PM
Starting Member
tazz9690 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mwillia
How do you BUMP?
Just like that.

Old 11-15-2009, 10:38 AM
Beginning Member

I spent several hours yesterday trying to get the dist. out, but no luck.I had a nylon strap around the base of the dist. and a long pry bar through a loop in the strap pulling up on it. I could see the base deflecting as I pried up on it, afraid it was going to crack. Anyone know of any tricks to pull this distributor?

Old 11-15-2009, 12:13 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Before you go and break something, please buy a Haynes or Chilton repair manual.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:10 PM
Beginning Member

I have a Chilton, but it does not cover anything like this.

Old 11-15-2009, 01:25 PM
cc4usa is on a distinguished road

you might have to remove the lower intake.
the drive gear on dist could be damaged and stuck on cam drive gear

Old 11-15-2009, 01:38 PM
Beginning Member

I can turn the rotor 10-15 degs. counterclockwise and the dist. shaft rises up. So it is not totally stuck. How about the roll pin holding the gear to the shaft? Could have possible worked it's way out and preventing the removal?

Quick Reply: Distributor rotor hitting bottom of cap