2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

distributor/timing

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2017, 09:16 AM
Beginning Member
bobs99 is on a distinguished road
Default distributor/timing

Replaced Intake Gasket etc. Have spent HOURS trying to set timing with No results. One tooth forward wont crank,One tooth back pops trough intake. Best so far when checked with timing light, mark is about 1inch before 0. When increasing throttle mark advances towards 0 (using light). Snapping throttle engine revvs then stalls and wont recrank. Act like compression lock... Possible chain slipped? Or totally Operator Trouble .?.?

Old 01-21-2017, 11:09 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

is it a 99 like in your name. If so you cant set timing with distributor. Did you take distributor out? Need more info

Old 01-21-2017, 11:22 AM
CWBDDSPC is on a distinguished road

Hold on there Baba Looey....

What are you working on for starters? Supposing it's a 2nd gen with the 4.3 then use your timing light for laser tag and spend some hours researching the correct way to install the distributor.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine...ributor-93880/

This recent thread has the information you need toward the end directly out of the shop manual. Give it a try and let us know if you are still having problems.

Funny tidbit here: I was actually doing this on one of mine last night and broke two cheap sockets while turning the crank over. They were closer than my impact set. (that was a hint and yes I am full of sarcasm! and welcome to the forum too!!)

Old 01-21-2017, 12:47 PM
Beginning Member

Yes it is a 99 and yes I have researched the correct install for distributor. Sorry just let that slip with the HOURS of time spent on this. However the initial start attempt was simply reinstalling the distributor as (I believed that it was not moved) resulted in backfire. 280+k miles. Which is why now that I researched and did proper distributor install my suspicions are a jumped timing chain. scan 1345 now active and wasnt before.

Old 01-21-2017, 12:52 PM

Hey progress! Awesome... now that you have the dizzy in the right place you have read the cam retard and adjust it to +/- 2 degrees. You will need a scan tool capable of reading the cam retard. Turn the dizzy to adjust it - you may have to oval out the clamp to get enough rotation. Even with the dizzy in the correct spot, cam retard can be off quite a bit...

Old 01-21-2017, 01:06 PM
Beginning Member

Dont have scan tool for that operation. Once "dizzy" is in correct position I had to refer to my timing light which as I said was showing up 1 inch before 0 mark. With help from my son, left bolt out of dizzy and with pressure down as to not let it rise and slip, turned it counter clockwise (while running) and timing mark moved to 0. was thinking about slotting hold down!!! Seems wrong but right also???

Old 01-21-2017, 01:10 PM
Beginning Member

If I need to slot and rotate dizzy dos'nt that describe cam and crank not being in correct orientation? In other words changing a fixed position dizzy would not make it right? Am I sthinking this up or does it need Timing Chain and Gears, then start over?

Last edited by bobs99; 01-21-2017 at 01:14 PM.
Old 01-21-2017, 01:30 PM

Your timing light is not going to help you in this application. Put it away. If you do not have a scanner capable of reading cam retard, you need to phone a friend, buy one or take the vehicle to a shop. Until you know that information, you really don't know anything. It really is common place that if the dizzy is removed and replaced to get the 1345 code. When the vehicles were new, the factory hole for the clamp may very well have allowed for the +/-2 degrees setting. As some of these blazers are reaching 20 years of wear and tear the tolerances are not as tight and they just need a little tweaking. Perhaps someone else can more technical if you like about engine internals. But trust me, you cannot make assumptions about what is wrong until you know what the cam retard is...

Old 01-21-2017, 02:34 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks ,will get back on this as soon as I receive the BAFX Bluetooth OBDII Adapter. All ready purchased the Car Gauge Pro App on my Android. This should allow me to set CMP Retard. Thanks again for info and patience.

Old 01-21-2017, 05:50 PM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Good luck

Quick Reply: distributor/timing