2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Dome lights will not turn off

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 01:53 AM
ramairmustang is on a distinguished road
Default Dome lights will not turn off

Okay I installed some new Infinity Kappa Component speakers in my Blazer tonight and everything went great. Well so I thought. For some reason now when I close my doors the dome lights do not go out if the car is running or not. Dont matter. The only way to turn them off now is to use the Dome Override button. So now when I open a door I have to press that button in order to see inside at night and then press it again to turn them off before leaving the car. I check all the dash fuse's and there all good. Any thoughts on this one guys? Oh and is there a brake switch or something that I need to change out because I have no brake lights.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:02 AM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Do you have a separate rear dome light switch you may have left on? As funny as this sounds I did it once or twice myself.
As for the brake light switch, it's down under your dash mounted on the brake pedal bracket. If you have cruise control there will be two of them. Make sure they're adjusted first. They are self adjusting when you put them in. You may have to pull the trim off to see them good.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:27 AM

No just the dimmer switch turns them on. When you click it up all the way the two map lights in the front come on and the rear dome. When you click it back off they all stay on. They was working fine before but now I have no clue what's going on.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:05 AM

OK. This sounds like somehow these lights are finding ground. Everyone thinks that when you hit the switch it controls "hot" to the lights. This is not the way it works. The switches are installed on the ground side of the lights and merely complete the circuit. I don't have a wiring diagram for your truck but they are pretty much wired the same way except for the override came along later.
1) What map lights are you referring to? The ones that shine on the floor or do you have them in the rear view mirror or overhead console?
2) Do you have a timer or delay for the lights or are they supposed to go out immediately? If you have lights in the mirror they all are on a 15 second delay but if they stay on you may have a delay timer problem.
3) Have you checked the door jamb switches? Put your finger on the, individually and really work them out. Again they are just another pathway to ground.
This sounds like a real problen but is going to be something simple I'll bet. Will think about this some more and will try to see about a W/D. Please keep us posted. Are you sure you don't have a switch on the rear dome? I thought they all did to turn on the lights when you just open the back.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:57 AM
huntersblaze is on a distinguished road

Did you put your door panels back on yet? This happened to me when I changed my speakers too. When I was done I left the door panels off and checked to see if everything was working right. I finally figured out that the door panel is responsible for hitting the button on the side of the dash to let the truck know that the door is closed.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by huntersblaze
Did you put your door panels back on yet? This happened to me when I changed my speakers too. When I was done I left the door panels off and checked to see if everything was working right. I finally figured out that the door panel is responsible for hitting the button on the side of the dash to let the truck know that the door is closed.
You just nailed it. I left the panels off to test. I haven't put them back on yet because I wanted to find this light issue. Thanks to all who stepped up to help me out. I'll be putting them back on today. Well maybe not the drivers side yet as it's broke and needs replaced.

Old 02-28-2010, 03:29 PM
huntersblaze is on a distinguished road

Glad to help, I had to sit back and laugh at myself when I finally found out it was just the door panels not hitting the button, after checking everything else that could of gone wrong.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:14 PM
cooper232 is on a distinguished road

the lights that are under the dash right above your feet... are they on the same circuit as the dome light?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:05 AM

Yes. They are.

Old 03-01-2010, 12:34 PM
Beginning Member
Pobey is on a distinguished road

i been having the same problem but i think my dome override switch is messed up cause it isnt locking in just goes in and right back out. and i have never taken the door off.

Quick Reply: Dome lights will not turn off