Go Back   Blazer Forum - Chevy Blazer Forums > Mechanical & Maintenance > General Tech Help > 2nd Gen S-series (1995-2005) Tech
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Welcome to Blazer Forum!
Welcome to Blazer Forum,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to start new topics, reply to conversations, privately message other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Blazer Forum today!

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-19-2011, 04:24 PM
Starting Member
2000 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

antman94 is on a distinguished road
TheBabyShaker1
Default drain gas

Im planning to do the fuel pump this weekend on my jimmy and i was just wondering how you drain the gas tank. I have 18 gallons in there and a dead fuel pump...... thanks
Old 01-19-2011, 04:30 PM
BF Veteran
1999 Chevrolet Blazer

warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
the arch

what i did was remove the filler hose from the fuel door end and put a siphon line in.
didnt have to move tank at all.....mind you though i have a 2" body lift so i have some wiggle room...might work for ya

BUILD: OPERATION WARTHOG
XBOXLIVE TAG ALBUM PHOTOBUCKET
Old 01-19-2011, 08:12 PM
Starting Member
2000 Chevrolet Blazer
My Garage

antman94 is on a distinguished road
TheBabyShaker1

would a drill pump work?
Old 01-19-2011, 08:15 PM
BF Veteran
1999 Chevrolet Blazer

warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough
the arch

i read on my drill pump..."do not use on combustible materials"
didnt take a chance....maybe sparks from drill motor?
better safe then cooked

BUILD: OPERATION WARTHOG
XBOXLIVE TAG ALBUM PHOTOBUCKET
Old 01-19-2011, 08:25 PM
BF Guru
1990 Chevrolet Suburban

old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

the reason that the drill pumps aren't rated for combustable materials is, they're not sealed against any vapour leaking. and being right next to an electric motor really isn't the best location for such a device.

just use the ol' "suck 'n siphon" method.

it works, but it'll taste like s**t for a split second.

'84 T10 Blazer w/8" of lift (sold)
'90 GMC Suburban SLE, a Canadian rust bucket (R.I.P.)
'90 Chevy Suburban Silverado, 6.2 diesel, a Southern Belle
'92 T15 Jimmy SLT, 4dr, 1 of only 2 factory 5spds. in Canada, and stupid fast (R.I.P.)
'95 Buick Regal LS, 290K, still going strong
'98 T10 Blazer LT, 4dr The Incredible Hulk
Old 01-19-2011, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran

AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Keep in mind that there may be an anti-siphon device. Mine has one. To make the job of dropping the tank easier I just cut the fill and vent hose close to the tank. Then cut kind of a hole in the fill hose to get a CLEAR hose to siphon the gas out.

I figured replacing ten year old hoses would be a plus in the end. If you choose to go this route you will need 2" and 5/8" hoses about 6-7" long, though you might as well get a foot as that is the minimum most places will sell.

This also makes dropping the tank MUCH easier as you do not have to manuever the tank around trying to get the whole fill/vent line out. This is on a 2 door, the 4 door may be much eaiser as the tank is mounted on the side and not on the back.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 PM

UberFail is on a distinguished road

if u pull the filler neck off the tank @ the tank end, it goes directly into the tank. the anti siphon is in the filler neck itself rather than the tank.

go to your local hardware store and grab some 1/4 dia CLEAR plastic hosing about 3ft long and remove filler neck n siphon it out! i suggest clear cuz once u get the fuel going better than half the length of the hose you can put it into your "catch" bucket or whatever ur using. saves the "shat" taste of gas in your mouth this way too.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:57 PM

Closed Thread

Tags
02, 1999, 94, anti, antisiphoning, blazer, chevy, device, drain, draining, flap, fuel, gas, gmc, siphon, suburban, tank