2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Driver door spring fell out?

Old 01-15-2010, 01:08 AM
Beginning Member
xderkax is on a distinguished road
Default Driver door spring fell out?

Was on my way home from work, and opened my door and I heard a "pop". It was cold out so I just quickly checked inside, and swung the door open and closed a few times, then another pop happened, and a spring fell out. I went and asked my grandfather about it, and he said it was the spring that keeps the door from swinging freely when opened. He was right about that. Also, a small arm looking thing was preventing the door from closing. He popped that back into place with a crowbar, and the door closes fine now. My question is about the spring. It really seems like a pain to get it back into place, just wondering if there was an easy way to get it back in? Thanks!

Old 01-15-2010, 01:51 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

easy way: go to harbor freight tools and dump $5 on the dumbass spring compressor

hard way: any other way.

Good Luck

Old 01-15-2010, 06:34 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The tool is called a light truck door spring compressor and makes the job of putting it in a LOT easier. It is money well spent.

The problem that I see is that these springs typically do not just fly out. Something caused it to fall out. I would inspect your hinge pins/bushings closely. I bet you will find one or more of them in pretty bad shape.

Old 01-15-2010, 06:39 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABN31B
... go to harbor freight tools and dump $X on ...
This happens at least once during every project!

Old 01-15-2010, 07:09 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

I had the same problem. Spring popped out, put it back in, popped back out the same day, then I realized the bushings were in terrible shape. Soon after due to the fact my door swings open 90 degrees to the truck, the upper hinge started taking a beating, the bushing broke and the door almost fell off the truck. Put new bushings in and get that spring back in or little by little the hinges are gonna take a beating. My upper hinges are bending outwards and the weld has a hairline crack already. Ontop of that the wind took my door like a sail and swung that mother open so hard it elongated the bushing holes.

Old 01-15-2010, 11:43 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Ugly_Monkey
This happens at least once during every project!
Right? i had never even ventured in one of these before June of last year. Now i can't stay out. so much cheap crap to buy, break, and buy another

Old 01-16-2010, 01:13 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ABN31B
Right? i had never even ventured in one of these before June of last year. Now i can't stay out. so much cheap crap to buy, break, and buy another
Not to HJ, However;

For non-professional use its great, i have damn near EVERY tool to fix my truck, in the truck. ...and they are DIRT cheap!

Old 01-16-2010, 01:17 AM
The_Beast is on a distinguished road

Yeah don't be a dumbass like me and pay $20 for the same tool at NAPA

man I felt dumb paying that much for a tool I'm only going to use once

Old 01-16-2010, 01:20 AM
BF Veteran

you know what. you can send it to me if it needs more use ... just a suggestion

Old 01-16-2010, 07:27 PM
Beginning Member
xderkax is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the suggestions guys, will check out that tool.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver door spring fell out?