2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Driver door spring fell out?

Old 01-17-2010, 01:34 PM
cc4usa is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by swartlkk
The tool is called a light truck door spring compressor and makes the job of putting it in a LOT easier. It is money well spent.

The problem that I see is that these springs typically do not just fly out. Something caused it to fall out. I would inspect your hinge pins/bushings closely. I bet you will find one or more of them in pretty bad shape.
quick question. ive looked for this spring tool and no luck. do you have a part # and where you got yours. the spring on my drivers front door fell out and still looking for good way to reinstall the stupid thing.

Old 01-17-2010, 02:59 PM
Big Keith is on a distinguished road

I just had the same thing happen to me last month. I used a C clamp & about 10 zip ties put the zip ties in first leaving one coil at each end out. Then compress the spring tightened the zip ties as I went used needle nose locking pliers to hold the spring in place & then cut the zip ties was easy & took only 5 mi. Good luck

Old 01-17-2010, 04:14 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ABN31B
Right? i had never even ventured in one of these before June of last year. Now i can't stay out. so much cheap crap to buy, break, and buy another
I just found out theres one about 15min away from me. I went there for the first time a few months ago.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:09 PM
Beginning Member
acavill is on a distinguished road

Same thing happend to me. Opened my door one day and the spring fell to the ground. I haven't tried putting it back in cause it looks too hard without a spring compressor. This probably happened about 3 months ago and my door still opens and closes fine (won't stay open on it's own of course) but until my door falls off I'm just gonna leave the spring out

Old 01-19-2010, 12:37 PM

im still waiting for some info on this compressor tool people are talking about.
i could make my own tool but if its only $5.00 from harbor freight. then i would rather buy it. its cheaper than i could make the stupid thing.
any help will be appreciated.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

What is amazing is how little time it took to actually look this up for you... Something you could have done days ago rather than wait for someone else to do it for you...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95344

The search term "door spring" turned it up. Happened to be the first phrase I thought of.

Old 01-19-2010, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by swartlkk
What is amazing is how little time it took to actually look this up for you... Something you could have done days ago rather than wait for someone else to do it for you...

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=95344

The search term "door spring" turned it up. Happened to be the first phrase I thought of.
sorry about that. ive looked on their site i dont know how many times. ive even called and asked them about it but. i guess i didnt ask the right questions.
thanks again.

Old 03-04-2012, 09:08 AM
Beginning Member
WayneMurray1 is on a distinguished road

I know this thread is a little old, but just had to replace my door pins and bushings. I had a hell of a time with the spring, and no hardware store around had a door hinge spring compressor. Then, I stumbled across this site...and this solution worked like a charm. You can make your own spring compressor for about $5 at your local hardware store. Here is the link!!! enjoy!!
http://www.astrosafari.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=8363

Old 04-24-2012, 07:42 PM
Starting Member
Did I do that? is on a distinguished road
Default Gm door spring

compress the spring in a vise, wire the spring together, hold spring in place, cut wire

Old 04-24-2012, 08:04 PM
Starting Member
MrJP is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this thread is a little old, but in case anyone is still looking, the link Swartlkk provided has been changed by Harbor Freight. It now links to a garden hose of some type. The new link is GM Vehicle Door Spring Tool

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver door spring fell out?