2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

EGR problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 02:01 PM
Beginning Member
wiblazerman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EGR problems

new EGR installed 5/7/2009 EGR code p0404. all good for about 6 months 11/3/2009 and then EGR code p0404 and p0405

p0404 EGR feed back signal out or range
p0405 EGR sensor "A" signal short or low

All this is with the new EGR and when i have been driveing for a bit so eveything is warmed up. October 24 and 25 light come one code p0401 insufficient flow. OK i cleaned the holes and put a EGR gasket with screen. No light for a week. Then light comes back on with new codes (above). The truck bogs down when low RPMS. Step on the gas she goes. I tryed cleaning the holes best i could again. started truck after EGR was off and nothing came out. loud and runs rough when EGR is off. I checked the wireing all is good. Check engine light goes off and come on. Saterday light goes off for about half hr when i was driveing. Light come back on and engine runs rough and bogs down when low RPM. Took it to local shop and recived codes that are above. I am getting a new EGR valve tommrow from local auto parts store same place i bought first one. free of charge. what got me and many others puzzled is why same code 6 months ago and one new this time. also the code in October p0401. I have not changed a thing to it. If any one can shed some light on this problem that would be nice. I do not want to take it to the dealer because of the crazy price that they charge for doing anything. U all have a good day and thank you for any help.

Old 11-03-2009, 02:11 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wiring problem maybe? The fact that it runs poorly suggests that it is more than just a wiring/electrical problem though. Sounds like a defective valve.

Here is one of the codes:
P0405 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Sensor A Circuit Low

Old 11-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Beginning Member
fahzie is on a distinguished road

did you change your EGR yourself? i need to clean mine out, and wasnt sure bout how to do it, or if it was gonna be a hard job.....

Old 01-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Beginning Member

Fun Fun. Well back to the same problem. EGR problems again at least thats what the computer says. Bogs down acts like some thing is cloged. new air filter, fuel filter cant find anything. I dont wanna go spend anther 60 dollars to have them put it on a computer again and come out with the same thing. are there any other sensers the work with the egr valve that could make it stay open. nothing is pluging the holes on the egr or intake side. also at at times the idle will be at 1000 at a stop light and next light it will idle just above the 500 mark this happens when cold and warm temps. but eather way it runs fine. and then came the new egr problem i was talking about and now it stumbles or hesitats. i am thinking tha there is somethig else that wrong and making the egr valve stay open. i even bought a gasket with a screen. worked fine since last november. and back in may of 09 it gave the same code and thats when i put the new egr in. and again in november. can figer this out. also the check light will come on or go off when it wants to or it will just stay on all the time. thank you for any help

Old 01-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Starting Member
awe341 is on a distinguished road

It sounds as though your IAC valve (idle air control) may be sticking.
Pull off your IAC and clean both it and the throttle body. There is a good chance that will clear up your problem.

If your IAC is coated in gunk and your old EGR was as well then you way want to take a bit of time to clean out the rest of your intake.

If high carbon buildup continues to be a problem then your engine may be running rich. Possibly due to it burning oil or or maybe a bad 02 sensor throwing your air fuel ratios off.

Last edited by awe341; 01-18-2010 at 04:17 PM.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:50 AM
Beginning Member

Well my problems with the egr have been found. code p0404 EGR valve driver in the VCM sticks on at times/commands EGR valve to full open instead of desired position. Two auto shops did the same test and came up with the same thing. now I am trying to find out what numbers i need off it to go and buy a reman one. Trying to save some money. but i want to make dam shure its the right one. The peace of paper the shop gave me says VCM. the web site i go to for parts says PCM. are they the same? both shops that tested my truck want around 550 to replace it. has anyone bought parts from CARDONE? the shop gave me a number of 9355699 but when i put that number in any web site to look it up comes up as nothing. but when i put the year/make/model it comes up with the same number as above. i am a little confused on this. i can buy a reman cardone pcm for around $111. compared to $300 acdelco. any help would be appreciated.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a suggestion... Get a PCMforLess tuned PCM. The core program is $300 +$15 s&h with a refundable core charge of $115 == $200 total + CASE relearn at dealership (~$90). You get a tuned PCM at a fraction of what the shops charge to just replace it. Just a bit more than what the reman units cost.

I did this on my Rainier instead of paying to have the updates for stalling performed. I saved money by getting a PCMforLess tuned PCM with the updates already installed!