2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

ENGINE SPUTTERS AND STALLS OUT WHILE DRIVING, PLEASE HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 08:53 PM
Beginning Member
joeazevedoiii is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ENGINE SPUTTERS AND STALLS OUT WHILE DRIVING, PLEASE HELP!!!

truck constantlty bucks, sputters, have eratic tach, it feels like a fuel delivery prob but still havnt fixed it. while driving it is usually fine up above 2-2500 rpm but low range sucks, can hardly get off lie most of time. stalled out on highway, service engine light always on, and even BLINKS, ive never seen that in my life, and all of my cars ive rver owned had a service light at least once. anything would help, especially getting to the bottom of this before the winter. already changed out o2 sensors (both), and fuel filter and problem persists

THE CODES THAT POP UP ARE:

Current DTC P0147
o2 Sensor heater circuit malfunction
bank 1 sensor3
MIL NOT REQUESTED
since IGN NOT RUN
Since clear P/F

History DTC P0171
System too lean (bank 1)

MIL NOT REQUESTED
since IGN NOT RUN
Since clear P/F

History DTC P0300
Random/Multiple cylinder misfire detected
MIL NOT REQUESTED
since IGN NOT RUN
Since clear P/F

PLEASE HELP THIS IS GETTING ANNOYING

Old 11-14-2007, 10:32 PM
Starting Member
blazeofglory is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: ENGINE SPUTTERS AND STALLS OUT WHILE DRIVING, PLEASE HELP!!!

OH NO!

THE DREADED PO300[sm=headbang.gif]

(hint read that post it might give you some ideas of what to check)

Dude I feel your pain!

Old 11-15-2007, 08:37 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

For now you can ignore the B1S3 O2 code. That is for emissions monitoring only and will not affect engine operation.

With the system lean bank 1, this could be caused by improper spark to one or all of the cylinders on the driver's side of the engine. Have you pulled the plugs and inspected them? If one looks wet or black, then there is improper combustion in that cylinder. If the plug is not getting spark, this would trigger a P0300 code as well as a fuel system lean code as the O2 sensors are seeing an abundance of oxygen in the exhaust.

My first recommendation would be to do a complete tune up consisting of plugs, wires, cap and rotor.

Old 11-19-2007, 12:29 PM
showtimemike is an unknown quantity at this point

I have an '02 Blazer 4x4 (not the full size Blazer) that started having sputtering and then dying problems a couple of weeks ago. My mechanic can't find anything wrong - fuel pressure is good,fuel filter is ok too. A little perplexed here right now...

Old 11-19-2007, 09:58 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

sounds like the spider assemble is leaking or the fuel pressure regulator is failing. Both are located inside the upped intake manifold.

Old 11-23-2007, 05:35 PM
Beginning Member
joeazevedoiii is an unknown quantity at this point

I did a complete tune up and it seems to be running fine now. the # 3 plug was a bitch to get at cause of the steering column. But after an hour of playing with it I learned that who ever did any tune ups before me has never changed the # 3 plug.[:@]It was the stock plug can you believe the hackers out there how lazy can you be to do that. but i thank you for all your help.