2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Engine Ticking Noise After Oil Change

Old 11-09-2014, 11:11 AM
Beginning Member
Flatmatt is on a distinguished road
Default Engine Ticking Noise After Oil Change

I have a 2001 Blazer 4.3l with about 81,000 miles. Have never had an issue with the engine at all.
Last week I had the oil changed by a mechanic at a local shop. I hadn't even put 3000 miles on it since the last oil change and the oil was clean and not burnt.
I left the shop and immediately had to drive 90 miles to another town. When I got there, I let the vehicle sit for about 40 minutes (in about 45 degree weather) and when I started it, there was a ticking noise coming from the engine that lasted for about 2-3 minutes and disappeared.
I drove 90 miles back without issue, however in the morning (another 45 degree morning) the ticking was back when I started it (1-3 minutes) and this continues now every morning since. After the 1-3 minutes, it purrs like a kitten.
I'm assuming the oil in it before was 5w30 (that is what the previous shop claimed they put in) and this new shop tells me they put in 5w30 as well with the change.

The owner of the shop that did the recent oil change told me that the ticking noise is "normal and exactly how newer vehicles should sound when started up". However, he is the only one telling me this, and I have never had a vehicle that just "normally" had an engine tick when started, so I don't believe him, especially since the tick just started right after they worked on the vehicle.

I'm a bit worried this could could be hurting the engine and was wondering what you all thought would have caused this directly after an oil change and what the suggested fixes would be. Somebody suggested running 10w30 through it for a couple thousand miles, but I'm in the northwest and it gets down to 0degrees F here and sometimes below.

Another suggestion was running a quart of Lucas through it, but I'm not sure how that would help since everything was purring on startup until the oil change.

Any ideas/thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 11-10-2014, 08:37 AM
jimspahr@msn.com is on a distinguished road

1./ Make sure the oil level is correct before you drive it any further. 2./ Check to see if the correct model and size filter was installed. I would replace with an AC Delco PF-52 (not the PF-52e) or what the owner's manual calls for if any other filter was installed. 3./ Verify the wt. oil and brand of oil the new shop put in. Example Pennzoil 5w/30. 4./ No Lucas additives. 5./ Based on the responses from the new shop owner, I would find a better shop to get the oil changed. Ticking 'when there was was no ticking before' is not normal. 6./ Go to the site BITOG.com and read about oil filters without anti-drain back valves. That will cause a ticking when first started in the morning.

Old 11-10-2014, 09:27 AM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

I'd go with drain back valves. Also check engine adapter for debris. Sounds like lifter not getting full pressure

Old 11-11-2014, 08:12 AM

My guess on the ticking is valve lifters not getting oil on start up. Once the oil gets pumped up to the valve lifters, they quiet down. Common causes are poor quality oil filter, wrong oil filter, insufficient oil , and poor quality oil. BITOG.com oil forum has much on these problems.

Old 11-11-2014, 02:31 PM
dougn? is on a distinguished road

Wrong oil weight is my first guess. For example do not use 10w40 if engine calls for 5w30. Tight engine bearing tolerances will not let 10w40 reach lifters until it warms up and thins out. Change oil and filter again would be the most cost effective place to start. Make sure to watch what oil is being put in and not out of a generic barrel. What does your vehicle call for on oil weight ? Just did a friends Dodge and parts store said oh just use 5w30. Had to send him back to get the proper 5w20 that it called for. Please update this post to recent findings and hopefully a final solution for you.

Last edited by dougn?; 11-11-2014 at 02:36 PM. Reason: wording
Old 11-11-2014, 05:41 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

gm had some issues with ticking in the 3.4 and 3.8L ???
switching to a semi synthetic seemed to make it go away

Old 11-11-2014, 05:49 PM
Beginning Member

5W30 is what it calls for, that is what they claimed to have put in, but not sure of the brand. It will be later in the week till I can change the oil again, I think this is a good idea.

I did check the oil filter and it is an AC Delco PF47E. The owners manual calls for a PF47 for a 2 wheel drive, but mine is a 4WD and the manual calls for a PF52 for the 4WD model, so it is the wrong filter according to the manual. I wonder if this could be the issue...

(Also, BITOG.com doesn't seem to exist anymore?)

Last edited by Flatmatt; 11-11-2014 at 06:07 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 09:21 AM

AC Delco PF 47 is a shorter version of the PF 52. Otherwise they are the same. the 52 has more oil capacity. I again say use the PF 47 for 2WD or the PF 52 for the 4WD version, not the PF 47e or the PF 52e version. Refer: BITOG.com forum--still going--- for all things pertaining to oil, filters, and lubes. That is an acronym for bobistheoilguy! Try this site below and search for e vs non-e AC Delco filters.

Bob Is The Oil Guy | The Internet's Number One Motor Oil Site

Old 11-12-2014, 10:27 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the input. (Also found the BITOG forum). From what I am reading, AC Delco no longer makes the PF 52 (minus the E) and the E filters are crap. I have even read about them causing my exact same problem.
I did read that WIX makes a good filter to use and I have a NAPA here - The NAPA Gold filters (1036 the PF 52 equivalent) are supposed to be made by WIX, so I was wondering what the consensus is on trying the NAPA 1036 filter.
Also, since I will obviously have to change the oil, what oil would you recommend for the 4.3L 4WD 2001 Blazer? As long as I'm doing this again, I want to do it right. (What about Quaker State for example?)

Old 11-12-2014, 01:05 PM
Default More on the AC Delco oil filters with suffix of 'E' !

Here is a write up in the Corvette forum on the new 'E' version of the what the now call the 'Classic' PF-47 and PF-52. Corvettes use the PF-52. Please note that the end caps are now 'non metallic' ---sounds like Fram oil filters!--- You see the E stands for Ecological, as in more easily recycled.
QUOTE: TO: All ACDelco Distributors
SUBJECT: FILTER DESIGN CHANGE – PF46, PF47, PF52 AND PF61
Description
ACDelco is implementing a design change on the PF46, PF47, PF52 and PF61 ACDelco Oil Filters due to capacity constraints on the current product design. GM engineers have approved the new design which will begin to be incorporated in upcoming vehicle designs. This OE approved and manufactured filter provides the same Duraguard filtration performance as the previous design and specifically utilizes the original ACDelco media that traps particles down to 25 microns. Additional features include a slightly smaller can, fully covered baseplate, non-metallic end caps and high strength nylon core. This newly designed oil filter has the benefits of not only bringing excellent filtration performance, it is also environmentally friendly with components that can now be easily separated into steel, oil and parts to incinerate, resulting in less waste.
The Durapack versions of the newer design filter have begun shipping. The boxed or individually packaged versions will utilize the available production capacity on the original design, where possible, and will then begin to rollover to the newer design.
Effective Date Immediately ---UNQUOTE!
Some stores still have stocks of non-E PF filters. I would advise buying them if you can find them. They will last if kept in a clean dry place. I also see that in various places the say the media traps down to 25 and 10 microns.?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Engine Ticking Noise After Oil Change