2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Enginge Overheating and Expelling Coolant from Reservoir!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2014, 12:50 PM
Beginning Member
Shadow123 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Pewter2002
Curious. Shadow123, maybe you should start a new thread so we don't get your coolant system confused with the OPs. In the meantime, since you mentioned a probable unrelated problem with the oil pressure gauge, you may want to try this. Get an IR temp gizmo and check the engine temp on the thermostat cover and radiator top next to the cap when the engine is at normal operating temp. Then check again when you think it is overheating. Also, even though you are flushing the system, a probability always exists that air is still trapped somewhere. I say a probability only to rule that out. Some other odd ball ideas are one or more brake(s) dragging, the radiator front fins are clogged with bugs or debris, your serpentine belt is slipping and/or your new thermostat could be defective. One would think a simple liquid cooled system problem would be easy to fix. NOT.
I have actually replaced the tensioner a couple months ago when I changed the belt out to a goodyear gatorbelt so I doubt it's that. Maybe air, but I've flushed it with the vacuum coolant flushing machine three times in the past eight or so months with no difference in results each time. I think I'm about down to replacing the radiator at this point. It did have the orange coolant in it when I got it so the dexcool issue seems likely. I've been using green since the first flush but maybe the damage was already done. And seeing how it even happens at highway speeds and I have tried and electric fan I don't think the fan would be the issue. The thermostat I replaced after the first episode, then it happened again so I took it back and got a second. And recently I tried replacing the 195 with a 180 so that's three different thermostats so I think that rules that out. I've bled the system for air. None came out. The brake dragging Idea, maybe but I haven't noticed and weirdness in it's coasting or sounds like they were on or abnormal brake wear.

Old 07-22-2014, 06:27 PM
Beginning Member
Shadow123 is on a distinguished road

Well, just to give you guys an update, ended up being the radiator. One of those cases were I went through all the cheep fixes only to find out it was the expensive one. Changed it out about two weeks ago. It's been running at the right temp ever since. Broke the sides off of the old one and it had some corrosion and brown chunky stuff toward the bottom. Probably from that dexcool the last owner had in it. So it was working but not quite well enough.

Old 07-22-2014, 08:51 PM
Starting Member
dobyken is on a distinguished road

I had the same exact issue which is why I suggested it was a clogged radiator. In my case I'm the dumbass who mixed green coolant with the Dexcool but it was 10 years ago and before I joined the forum.

Originally Posted by Shadow123
Well, just to give you guys an update, ended up being the radiator. One of those cases were I went through all the cheep fixes only to find out it was the expensive one. Changed it out about two weeks ago. It's been running at the right temp ever since. Broke the sides off of the old one and it had some corrosion and brown chunky stuff toward the bottom. Probably from that dexcool the last owner had in it. So it was working but not quite well enough.

Old 07-23-2014, 01:19 PM
Starting Member
joejiz is on a distinguished road

Does the factory come with DEXCOOL? Assume so, why is it bad to mix green with the DEXCOOL?

Old 07-24-2014, 09:44 AM
Pewter2002 is on a distinguished road

Yep, they come from the factory with Dexcool. There is a lot of info on the forum regarding the Dexcool vs green. I think everyone that is interested in this has their own opinion so I won't state mine cuz I don't want to start a battle.

Old 07-24-2014, 10:14 AM
LannyL81 is on a distinguished road

If you mix green with orange, you get brown sludge and a clogged radiator and heater core. Never mix them! AND.....risking a battle here.....a cooling system flush will not remove 100% of the DEXCOOL so switching to green will cause the problem.

Many opinions is to replace the DEXCOOL but just follow GM instructions and replace it every five years and all should be good.