2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

evap problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:45 AM
Beginning Member
wetbar is on a distinguished road
Default evap problems

Hey I have a 2000 blazer that will not pass inspection. I am getting 3 codes P-0446, P-0452, P-0453.

This seems to have something to do with the evap. I went to auto zone thay had 2 parts that it could be, the canister purge valve vent solenoid or the canister vent valve solenoid. Does anyone know where these are? Auto zone said it could be just a hose came off of one of them. But I cant find them to check the hoses. Thanks for your help!

Old 01-25-2012, 09:25 PM
Beginning Member
Scorpious is on a distinguished road

There under ur truck above the tank on the frame rail...
Left(driver) side iirc.
Not easy to diagnose

Old 01-26-2012, 03:36 PM
Beginning Member
aosmitty is on a distinguished road

drop the dash and search for your codes - you can find some darn good threads on the forum.

P0446: https://blazerforum.com/forum/diagno...plained-35143/

P0452: https://blazerforum.com/forum/tech-a...agnosis-23038/

P0453: https://blazerforum.com/forum/diagno...plained-27564/

Personally, I was dealing with a related evap code lately and had to chase down the purge solenoid (on the top of the engine intake, mounted towards the rear) my vent valve (mounted to the crossmember above the spare) and the general integrity of the evap lines in general on my 2000 4WD Blazer. Worse, a previous (****ty) shop had "fixed" the various evap lines incorrectly and so a big part of the headache was figuring out what they had screwed up, and then what it was supposed to be. Of course, they had to fix it because all the steel lines under my truck were rusting into dust.

As far as the evap lines' run - the purge solenoid line goes directly to the canister, which is behind the left rear wheel. The tank (I have a plastic tank) has two vents - one near the front of the tank and one at the fuel pump. These meet at a "T" near the fuel pump, and then run over the frame to the canister. These two connections are actually labelled PURGE/TANK on my canister - scrub the dirt off lightly with your thumb and you should be able to see them. The vent valve line from the canister is the larger of the three lines.

Keep us updated (and good luck)!

Old 02-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member
bernie11 is on a distinguished road
Default Purge valve solenoid on manifold

I have a 99 Blazer. Went to replace the purge valve solenoid. The small rubber hose goes to a plastic type hose. The plastic hose is cracked and I am having a problem to see where it connects to. I would greatly appreciate any help or pictures. Thanks

Old 02-09-2012, 05:11 PM
Starting Member
Wisco Blazer will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by wetbar
Hey I have a 2000 blazer that will not pass inspection. I am getting 3 codes P-0446, P-0452, P-0453.

This seems to have something to do with the evap. I went to auto zone thay had 2 parts that it could be, the canister purge valve vent solenoid or the canister vent valve solenoid. Does anyone know where these are? Auto zone said it could be just a hose came off of one of them. But I cant find them to check the hoses. Thanks for your help!
P0446 is the evap canister, I had the same thing on my 2000, just remove the spare and it is a black box mounted just behind the drivers side rear wheel. It is kind of a pain though.

Old 02-09-2012, 05:23 PM
Beginning Member

Need help with finding where the purge valve solenoid on the manifold plastic hose goes to??? I went to replace the purge valve on the manifold by removing the 2 10mm bolts, then unplugged the connector. Then I had to remove the clip to the rubber fitting. As I was doing this I noticed that the plastic line is cracked. I can not find where it goes to. I want to buy a new line but need to know what to buy and where it goes. Any help or pictures would be great. Thanks

Old 02-09-2012, 05:26 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

All the way back to the EVAP canister located behind the rear driver tire...but that plastic line should connect into a hard line back near where the fuel lines connect (under there somewhere that is almost impossible to get to).

Old 02-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Beginning Member

So the plastic line runs all the way to the canister? Do you have a part # for the line? Any pictures at all? I can not see the line when I get under the blazer

Old 02-10-2012, 05:11 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by bernie11
So the plastic line runs all the way to the canister? Do you have a part # for the line? Any pictures at all? I can not see the line when I get under the blazer
Look.. the first time you asked, half the answer was in the last paragraph in the post right above yours.

And you said the plastic line was cracked, now in the new thread you started, you say the rubber transition line to the plastic run is cracked, which is it.
GET CREATIVE!
I have unfortunate news.. not every part on your truck is available, and not everyone has had the same problem you have, and if they have had it didnt think it was worth a write up, let alone pictures.

Old cars get rusted and cracked lines. You fix and patch them best and as well as you can when it happens then you forget it..

So some things you are going to have to figure out for yourself

Lots of us on here dont mind helping out on research becuase we learn stuff while doing it. What I've learned is that Alldata has no info, That I can find, on any of the evap system.
Some trucks were built with steel lines, some with plastic.. plastic is best.

We're not going to hold your hand and look up part #'s and images for every problem you have. And neither is anyone on other forums.

Whether the rubber line or the plastic line has a crack the answer is to fix it with a suitable length and size of fuel resistant vacuum line.

And I suggest you practice search using google.

emissions lines for blazer
- when you get that.. click 'images' in the categories line above and across the screen

emissions lines for blazer site:blazerforum.com

Get creative!

Old 02-10-2012, 07:47 AM
Beginning Member
aosmitty is on a distinguished road

Bernie,
the line goes over the back of the engine/bell housing and meets up with the fuel supply and return lines, and they meander (yes, meander) down by the fuel filter - on the inboard side of the frame rail on the driver's side, and then along the top of the frame rail all the way back to the canister.

Save yourself the aggravation of tracking down and replacing parts and buy 25 feet of fuel line and run it straight from the purge solenoid to the evap canister. Tracking down the right line is a horrible pain in the butt - I did just that in the beginning of January trying to "unfix" a previous shop's handiwork.

The purge line is labeled at the canister (at least, it was on my 2000). Rub the dirt off the canister with your thumb and you'll see what I mean. I would keep the stock connector on the canister - just cut the line off minimum 6" from the canister and use a clamp to secure the new fuel hose.

Finding a diagram online was a huge pain in the butt but possible!). For my own sanity I downloaded and saved them online for future reference (did I mention the previous, terrible repair job done before I bought the truck?

imgur: the simple image sharer
imgur: the simple image sharer

Actually, if you squint, you may be able to see the "purge" label I'm referring to in this picture:
Large size rear canister pic Expand the pic to full size and I think it will be pretty easy to see.

Quick Reply: evap problems