2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

EVAP Vent Solenoid - Part Number?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 12:32 PM
Beginning Member
hilsenteger is an unknown quantity at this point
Default EVAP Vent Solenoid - Part Number?

Hi - new member - have a 1998 4D 4WD LS Blazer.

Check engine light came on a while back - took in and the code that was pulled was 0446. After some diagnostics, the mechanic's reportsays that the evap vent solenoid needs to be replaced. Doing a lot of reading and searching for this part (I've learned a lot LOL) butthere seems to be a lot of different ways that people describe this part.As far as I can understand, thereis a purge and a vent solenoid (or valve) that have distinct functions.

From what I have gathered together, the purge solenoid is in the front of the vehicle and the vent solenoid is mounted under the spare on the frame and connects to the charcoal canister. If I have this right, then I am looking to replace the valve in the back of the Blazer. But, looking on Rockauto, I can only find a purge solenoid (valve) and only the electrical connector for the vent solenoid is listed. I've had a read of the posts on this site looking for answers - someone has posted two part numbers from AC Delco. The firstpartlisted is214-640, and I think thatis the purge solenoidat the front of the vehicle. The other part is214-633- I thinkthis is thevent solenoidthat I'm looking for but Ican't find an image on theAC Delco website to verify.

Can someone help me out and let me know whether I've got this right?

BTW - great site - probably be hunting around for some more info, because it seems like Blazers (and mine is starting to exhibit these traits)tend to eat wheel bearings, ball joints, and other assorted parts quite quickly!!

Thanks.
Grant

Old 10-04-2007, 01:36 PM
jphayes921 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: EVAP Vent Solenoid - Part Number?

I think both those Are right. you are looking for the right parts. I have the same problem, but I just disconnect the tube going to the vent from the charcoal canister, fill up and then recoonect just have to live with check light. also if u replace those and it doesnt work it will be your ftp sensor.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

On RockAuto.com, it is also referred to as the Vapor Canister Purge Valve and is listed under PN 214633. All of my other references detail it as the vent solenoid.

PN 214640 is the purge solenoid up on the engine.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:25 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the responses guys - I see the part on RockAuto now. There is also some wording in brackets with that part:

{Purge Valve Hose Must Be Replaced - OEM Hose Will Not Fit #12559015}

I ran a check on gmpartsdirect and 12559015 - I think it's the same part, but I'm not sure where to find a replacement purge valve hose - any ideas?

Thanks.
Grant

Old 10-04-2007, 02:29 PM
jphayes921 is an unknown quantity at this point

only place i can think of for a hose is a junk yard get one for a couple of bucks

Old 10-04-2007, 02:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The hose is fine. I purchased this part from my local AC delco dealer and installed it without issue.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Beginning Member

Again, thanks for the quick replies - the mechanic also suggested that he take out the carbon canister and clean it - for about 110 bucks....is that necessary or should changing the solenoid be enough to fix the issue??

Old 10-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Change the solenoid yourself!! I wouldn't pay $110 to clean the evap canister. If you can get up to the vent valve, the only real tools that are required to replace it are a screw driver and a pair of slip joint pliers. If you cannot see the tang that holds the valve to the mounting bracket, I think it is a 10mm bolt that holds the bracket to the frame. Then disconnect the electrical connection and use the slip joint pliers to move the hose clamp. From there, just twist the vacuum line until it comes off.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:43 PM
Beginning Member

I intend to change the part out myself, but I wasn't sure about blowing out the canister - I would have thought that it would be cheaper to replace it!!

Cheers!!

Old 10-07-2007, 12:32 AM
Beginning Member

OK - switched out the vent solenoid in the back of the Blazer this morning- started it and drove it for about 60 miles. When I went out to start it again, it idled very low at start, at much lower RPMs than normal. I'm a little confused because it was a simple switch out of the old valve to the new one.

Would this be a vacuum leak of some kind? Seems to run fine otherwise....

Quick Reply: EVAP Vent Solenoid - Part Number?