2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fan and Fan Clutch Removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:35 AM
Starting Member
cheesequaker is on a distinguished road
Default Fan and Fan Clutch Removal

Good morning,
I'm new to this forum.
I purchased a 2001 L/S two weeks ago and I am planning out the performance mods I will be doing as soon as the weather breaks and I can start working on the truck.
The first is a CAI which is a no brainer as far as installation.
The second is the installation of dual electric fans to cool the radiator.
My question is are the bolts that secure the fan and clutch also the same bolts that secure the pulley to the crank?
If that is the case what size shorter bolts will I need to resecure the pulley to the crank?
I am just looking to be prepared before I tackle this project.
Having also done many performance mods to my SRT 6, I know that performance increases come in increments related to the small changes you make to the engine.
Has anyone else done any external mods to increase performance?
Will the on board computers accept a tune?
Are there tuners out there where I can dyno the truck and modify the performance parameters?
This is my third Blazer, but the first time with a fuel injected engine with a ECU.
Thanks,
mark

Old 03-10-2010, 08:32 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The fan threads onto a large stub on the front of the water pump. It is not held on with the same bolts that hold on the water pump pulley.

You will probably be disappointed with an e-fan swap. The stock fan works quite efficiently so long as the clutch is operating properly.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:51 PM
Beginning Member
jaxgent is on a distinguished road

Are the treads on this stub left handed?

Old 04-25-2012, 02:09 AM
Starting Member
killianslair is on a distinguished road

So you are saying there is no real gain from e-fans? As the belt still has to turn the water pump creating drag.... Ive seen some talk about under driving the pulleys, is that kit worth the money if you correct the alt pulley (smaller) and who sells the pulley kits? Oh and can you use an e-pump for the 350ci?

Old 04-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jaxgent
Are the treads on this stub left handed?
I am pretty sure they have standard threads. You can check: the way the fan turns when engine is running is the same direction you have to loosen the Nut. Manufacturers do this so the turning of the fan keeps the fan tight.