2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fast right blinker

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2015, 05:45 PM
Beginning Member
dannyek7 is on a distinguished road
Default Fast right blinker

I have a 2001 Blazer. When the car is first turned on, the right blinker light stays on for about 1 minute and is 75% lit. When I put the left turn signal on, it works normally, but the right turn signal blinks 2x as fast and the light is about 90% as bright as it should be.

As far as my mechanic can tell, the bulbs are ok, all in fuses in the fuse box are ok, lights are ok, and sockets are ok with no grounding issues.

Thoughts?

I just had the secondary air pump replaced, and I've also had the nagging issue of the 2A and EVAP sensors coming back as "Not ready", even after about 300-400 miles of driving in all conditions.

Thanks all

Old 01-30-2015, 07:15 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

does both front and rear light 75%

if rear is 75% does it fully light for brake

Make sure the bulbs are the correct bulb #

Old 01-30-2015, 07:54 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Here's something you can try:
Ignition off, turn on the parking lights and the 4 way hazard flashers.

On the front: Both t/s bulbs should be flashing the same. Both front side markers should be flashing opposite of the t/s bulbs.

On the rear: All 4 bulbs, (2 on each side) should be flashing the same.

Checking like this will operate all filaments in all bulbs. Post your results.

Old 01-30-2015, 10:32 PM
Beginning Member

Do you think there is any reasonable chance it is tied into my sensors "not being ready"?

Thanks for the help

Old 01-31-2015, 09:49 AM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Not a chance.

Old 01-31-2015, 04:00 PM
Aeromaster is on a distinguished road

When you first start up cold the pump runs for about a minute, but unless there is a common short to your multifunction switch I would think they are unrelated. You may have two problems going on here.
A fast right blinker could be the multifunction switch. I had a similar problem where if I would only move the lever enough for lane change it would blink 2x fast, right only. Eventually I had to change out the multifunction switch because the flasher relay behind the glove box would continually click, like the turn signal was on, but no lights would be flashing.
Getting a used one at the pull it yard helped me figure out how to remove it before tearing into my own column. And with some help from a you tube how to it was doable with proper tools and some mechanical experience.
Evap issues are likely unrelated. When the pump was replaced there is a 30 amp fuse located behind the battery in the fender. It likely blew if the pump had locked up. Was it checked?

Old 01-31-2015, 04:26 PM

Another thing came to mind. Your original post does not seem clear as to which problem came first, but if the turn signal issue started after the secondary pump was replaced AND the fuse was replaced, you might try pulling the pump fuse, and see what effect if any it has on the turn signal.
BTW, check the air intake location of the pump. Somewhere close to the battery? You want to be sure its not in an area that can ingest water from puddles, driving in rain etc... it will rust and lock up. Try tucking it into a corner behind the battery.

Old 02-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the thoughts on this. I found the issue to be a bad multifunction switch that I replaced myself behind the glove compartment for about $14.

I am still getting the issue of the 2A and EVAP sensors as "not ready", even after about 500 miles driving through all sorts of conditions.

The fuse for the pump behind the fender was replaced when the pump was replaced. Before replacing the pump (which my mechanic checked and said was in fact bad) the same "Not ready" errors were still coming up.

Thanks again all

Old 02-05-2015, 04:02 PM

Good deal on the blinker issue. Now I'm not an expert on whats going on with the EVAP system, just passing on what I've experienced with my own vehicle. If I'm reading this right the 2A is the 2nd air injection which your mechanic replaced the pump for. There are a couple hoses and a solenoid at the pump to send the air to the manifolds. If I recall there is also a 10 amp fuse you may want to check. Try to make sure all the lines and hoses are connected properly. Might not be getting flow to the exhaust.

Old 02-05-2015, 04:56 PM

If you perform the General Motors Driving Cycle exactly as written, it will force all monitors to run and complete there tests in about 15 minutes.

Quick Reply: Fast right blinker