2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Flat towing the Jimmy with the Trailblazer?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2013, 12:24 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Flat towing the Jimmy with the Trailblazer?

Hey everyone. I was wondering: Is it possible to flat tow the Jimmy with a Trailblazer? Obviously I would need at least a trans cooler on the Trailblazer. This would be short range trips only (5-10 miles) if I had to move both cars at the same time to avoid the condo board trying to tow cars blocking plows in the parking lot. I would run the engine on the Jimmy to keep the transmission lubricated and cooled so neutral should not be an issue.

Is this combo even possible? What else would I need other than a towbar and trans cooler? Is there a means of applying the brakes on the Jimmy remotely? Is this even cost effective?

Also, if I really needed/wanted to try to be an a**hole to a tow truck driver (because this condo board really loves to harass with their illegal tows and illegitimate fines), what could I do to make a tow truck driver's life as hard as possible to tow this truck? Goal would be to make him give up and wish he never got into the business. Yes, I have zero tolerance for predatory towing.

Old 10-23-2013, 12:36 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

i would not recommend flat towing with these. as for makign a tow truck drivers life a living hell... I cant think of anything really that would not make yours a living hell as well.

Old 10-23-2013, 09:59 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

If it were me I wouldn't flat-tow a Blazer without disconnecting the drive shaft. I know it can be a pain crawling under there, especially in the winter, but I just don't think it's safe otherwise.

The other thing is flat-towing in the winter can be problematic because the towed vehicle will have a tendancy to push the tow vehicle on icy roads. Traction when braking and cornering would be a real concern. Your Trailblazer is a little heavier than the Blazer, but not by a huge amount.

Old 10-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Starting Member
Blazin00LT is on a distinguished road

4 button 4wd or 3?

Old 10-24-2013, 12:09 PM
dman001948 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a 2000 LT Blazer 4x4 LT and I was reading the owners manual the other day and ran across the towing part of my type of Blazer. From what I gather if you have a 4x4 with the buttons on the dash there is a way to make it tow able by pressing the right buttons..I would have to go look at the manual again..but it sure shock me to find that in there. And it being a automatic to boot..I guess it disengages all the right stuff when you push certain buttons on the 4x4 dash mounted. I must admit I have never seen anything like this on a SUV ever for any make...I guess that's why I keep it. Its my second vech now so it has 106K on it for 3yrs now (Bought a new 2011 Nox in 2011 and the Nox only has 10,800K on it in 3 yrs, I just don't drive that much any more) I know I should sell the Blazer but crap I have had it since 2002 and got kinda attach to it and all the money I put in it....Plus its in darn good shape...but anyhow look at your owners manual if you have a 4x4 Blazer LT and see if says you can kick all that is needed into neutral for towing or was I seeing things or read it wrong.