2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front brakes not working, rear brakes over working?

Old 08-18-2010, 08:15 AM
Beginning Member
218persuader is on a distinguished road
Default Front brakes not working, rear brakes over working?

I have a 2000 4 dr 4X4 Blazer w/ 160k. About a year ago I replaced all 4 rotors and pads. About 6 months ago I had a severe grind start one day and when I checked it out I had a pad in the rear go in at an angle and wear down to the back plate. I replaced the rear pads at that time and know 6 months later I had to replace the rear pads again. I did have good even wear outside and in, but they only lasted six and the front pads don’t look like they have been touched in the past year. Any ideas? Thanks

Old 08-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Flatearthman is on a distinguished road

The piston in the rear caliper with the worn pad is probably sticking or stuck.
and / or caliper slide is frozen

easy enough to check jack up the back of the truck so that both rear wheels are off the ground, take both wheels off
(make sure you are in 2WD )

1. have some one start the truck put it into drive at an idle, have them step on the brakes and release them while you are looking at the rotor with the worn out pads

2. if the rotor does not turn have them give it a little more gas.
does the rotor spin? (y or N)
NO = piston is stuck
yes = piston could be just be sticking and/or you need to bleed the brake system, i don't think the prop valve is an issue with that year blazer

cheapest place to start, hope it helps

Last edited by Flatearthman; 08-18-2010 at 12:33 PM. Reason: Grammer
Old 08-19-2010, 12:01 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply and I do know that the rear drivers side caliper sticks a little, but I see no wear on the front pads. I understand excessive wear from the sticky caliper in the back, but would that affect the front? Just curious, because I have never seen a vehicle wear rear pads faster than front. And I'm pretty sure the slides are free, because I get good even wear inside and out on both sides in the rear.

Old 08-19-2010, 01:32 PM
Tony H is an unknown quantity at this point

The Sliders are probably rusted.

With the Caliper off, can you easily pull the rubber boot and metal slider right out of the Caliper Bracket?

With rusted Sliders, the caliper can't float so all the braking is done with the Piston side of the caliper. that's the backside.
Sure sounds like your problem.
BTW I'm very sure Autozone and many Auto parts places sell the new Brackets separately from the calipers. If the sliders are so rusted in you can't free them, by the bracket with new Sliders. This happens OFTEN
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jdnidZ8knus

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jdnidZ8knuq

"SLIDERS" http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par.../N-jdnidZ8knjf

Last edited by Tony H; 08-19-2010 at 01:42 PM.
Old 08-20-2010, 06:11 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks again for the input, but I'm pretty sure the slides on both are good. I have always greased them, they move freely by hand and I get even wear from between outside and inside. I do know the drivers side rear piston doesn't always relax and seems to stick occasionally, but I don't believe that itis all the time. I'm not familiar with the ABS system and my main concern is that the front brakes don't seem to be working, so what I'm wondering if there is a valve or controller that splits pressure between the front and rear? Before I replace the drivers side rear caliper, is ther something else that also needs done. Thanks again.