2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Front pinion seal

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 03:59 PM
joey is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Front pinion seal

Greetings,
I just have a quick question- what is the torque spec for the front diff pinion shaft nut? When replacing the seal, I thought the torque spec would be in my service manual and turns out it wasn’t. After reading a few post, I discovered that you need to record the free spin torque before disassembly. However I didn’t. Howmuch should I torque the nut?

Thanks,
Joe

Old 08-04-2008, 07:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Front pinion seal

You don't torque the nut... You are in a particularly bad spot at this point in time... You typically would mark the orientation of the nut on the pinion threads and then remove it. Tightening it back down until you aligned the marks with the proper amount of thread showing. You are basically going to have to wing it.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:32 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

What happens if you wing incorrectly....

Old 08-05-2008, 08:29 PM
joey is an unknown quantity at this point

Got everything back togeather. Didnt get crazy over tightening the nut and everything seems normal (after 150 miles). Keep my fingers crossed. Live and learn I guess...

Old 08-05-2008, 08:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you got it all back together. Hope everything works out for you!