2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Frozen heater motor

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:11 PM
Beginning Member
bat119 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Frozen heater motor

For those of us who live in a climate that can see extremes in cold there is a problem that can happen to the heating system in a Blazer ( mine is a 99 4x4 4door model).The other day I started my Blazer and let it run for about 20 minuteswhile it was warming up I cleaned the snow from the hood, the temperture at the time was -28 below and the wind was gusting from 30Km to 60Km the windchill was about -40, in these conditions the snow becomes like a fine sand and the air intake of my truck filled with snow ( unknown to me). As I drove to work the inside of the windshield began to ice up and when I arrived at work I shut it off and plugged it in, after work I started the truck and noticed the fan motor was not blowing air I let the truck run for about an hour I thought might come back on but it never did. The Garage told me when he removed the motor it was full of water and this had shorted it out, he also told me this was the fourth blazer he has seen with the same problem. I have driven many cars and trucks under the same conditions for many years and this is the first time I have heard of this. The mechanic suggested I keep an old blanket in the truck and try to keep the air intake covered up (while parked overnight) to prevent this from reoccuring. does anybody know a better solution? besides staying home.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:12 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: Frozen heater motor

Note to self...never go to Lloydminster in the winter.

Man, that sounds incredible, not impossible but incredible. My Blazers are older but the intake to the heater is similar. For the last week I have had a small electric heater sitting on the center console. I run an extention cord from my garage to the heater. It keeps the ice and snow off my windows so I don't warm the truck up for more than a few minutes.
I wonder if the snow is getting to your heater motor when it sits or when you're driving?
I'd take the mechanics' advise and cover the intake overnite though.

Old 12-01-2006, 03:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that is pretty wild... I have never heard of that happening in these trucks before and I know a LOT of family members that have had them over the years too... Now CNY isn't known for it's horrific snow, but we get our fair share...

Was it really windy that maybe the snow really blew in there? Weird...

Old 12-01-2006, 04:39 PM
Beginning Member
bat119 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it may have happened while the truck was sitting overnight, I was parked facing the wind and this might have been a factor, from now I think I will use the blanket method just to be sure