2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Just bought a 97 Blazer. Have a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 10:10 PM
autoxinvr6 is on a distinguished road
Default Just bought a 97 Blazer. Have a few questions...

Well I just bought a 97 Blazer, I had a 97 S10 back in high school but that was the last American car I owned. Bought it so we could haul around the kid and the dogs all in the same vehicle. I've been 100% VW since then and known nearly every bolt inside and out of my MK3 bodies (my "toy" so to speak) But coming back to an American car is a whole new learning experience for me, tools I forgot I needed etc. haha

The vehicle in question here is a 1997 Blazer 4.3 Auto 2wd 4dr.

Anyway.

1. Is the only fuse box in the truck the one located on the driver side of the dash? and is the only relay "center" inside of the glove box? On my VW's they have a HUGE fuse/relay panel under the driverside kick panel so to see such a small box, it's different haha.

2. How are the power locks wired? If one motor shorts out will it affect the others? Easiest place to start looking for the fault if none of the fuses are broken?

3. How are the power mirrors wired? If one motor faults will both of them fail to work?

4. Any available wiring diagrams online I could follow? PDFs?

Other then that, I just have to figure out why the rear wiper and squirter doesn't work but, they aren't a priority.

Thanks for the info. I tried to search a bit but, but it was hard to find specific info... Sorry for the NEWBness... haha

Last edited by autoxinvr6; 09-21-2009 at 10:19 PM.
Old 09-22-2009, 10:43 PM

Dug into it a bit today. Figured out why the power door locks didn't work.

Now I gotta find out the power mirror issue, and then next on the list is the A/C control unit not turning the fans on at all. Can't beat all the little bugs for the price I paid for it though haha.

Any insight would be great :-)

Old 09-22-2009, 11:36 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

under the hood, driver's side. relays, fuses, links, etc.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:30 PM

Is it different for the older models? Some of the 99+ junkyard vehicles I saw had the fuse boxes under the hood but I don't see anything by the intake on my vehicle.

Got the AC blowing. Turned out to be the motor switch in the control unit. Replaced it with a known working one and *ding* Cold blowing AC :-)

Mirrors and cosmetics are the only things left. Then it's on to the modifying and having fun with it part... haha.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:48 PM
truckman6740 is on a distinguished road

the rear wiper wasnt working on mine i took it apart and the shaft was siezed up try cleaning it out it should work

Old 09-29-2009, 02:16 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by autoxinvr6
Well I just bought a 97 Blazer..................Other then that, I just have to figure out why the rear wiper and squirter doesn't work but, they aren't a priority.

Thanks for the info. I tried to search a bit but, but it was hard to find specific info... Sorry for the NEWBness... haha
have you looked at the switch yet? since you mentioned that both the wiper and the sqirter are not working, i'd check the fuse first (an obvious one, and it sounds like you already have), and then the switch. if it was just the wiper then it could be the moter is seized like truckman6740 mentiond (but the motor is so cheap, i wouldn't waste my time trying to free it).

Originally Posted by autoxinvr6
Is it different for the older models? Some of the 99+ junkyard vehicles I saw had the fuse boxes under the hood but I don't see anything by the intake on my vehicle.
not beside the intake, on the inner fender well. also look at the driver's side of the dash (when you open the door) there's a panel for the fuse box (all the slots are labelled on the inside of the cover).

Old 09-29-2009, 09:32 PM

Had to day off so I played with the wiper. The motor is messed up. I turned the switch on and it make a quick clicking noise, lifted the wiper arm with my hand and it wiped just fine. It's having an issue picking the arm up off of the rest and actually moving it into a wipe position...

Guess I'll just replace it... haha Where's the best place to head for GM/Blazer parts? Website?

As far as the fuse panel... The one on the driverside of the dash is the only one I see. I've got nothing on, near, or around the driver side fender well. I've got the air filter, the wiper fluid reservoir, the abs unit, and the cruise control unit. On the newer models I've seen a fuse panel in the area you're talking about, but on my vehicle the ABS module is there instead. There's a few relays placed by the passenger side of the firewall but no fuse box.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:55 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Can't help you locate the other fuse box as I have a 2000 and never looked under the hood of a 97 but hopefully I can help with your power mirrors.

Try replacing the switch with a known good one much like you did with the a/c. Had to do the same thing on mine. You could also trying cleaning the contacts first and see it that solves your problem.