2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

(Fuel pressure issue) First post ever

Old 01-19-2014, 09:47 PM
Beginning Member
WIZZATCH is on a distinguished road

Iv been stressing out trying to figure out what exactly the problem was before your help. You definitely saved me money and a huge headache. I really appreciate the help Captain Hook!! Thank you very much!! Next pay check i will get one of the 2 fuel pumps you mentioned. Thanx again!!

Old 01-19-2014, 09:53 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Glad to help. Keep us posted. 2 door and 4 door pumps are different, not interchangeable. Amazon and Ebay have decent prices, but make sure you're getting a genuine AC Delco or Delphi, not some el cheapo knockoff. Shop around before you buy.

Old 01-25-2014, 10:34 PM
Starting Member
Buck731 is on a distinguished road

I have found that if I ran my Blazer (my old one) too many times below 1/4 tank of fuel the pump wore out faster. In the 10 years I owned the truck...I went thru 3 fuel pumps. The first two I put in were cheap ones and didn't last long. The third was a AC Delco. That was in for three years before I sold the truck. My 2004 I have now has not seen fuel level below 1/4 tank since I bought it. OE Pumps are the way to go.

Old 01-28-2014, 10:36 PM
Beginning Member

I just received my new Delphi Fuel pump today woo hooo!! Thank you for informing me about the 2 door and 4 door pumps, because I almost bought the 2 door instead of the 4 door version on accident haha. I noticed they changed the design a little by taking the strainer off the bottem of the pump and placing it internally. For a second i thought they didn't give me all the parts X) I have heard stories about fuel pumps burning up due to low gas levels in the fuel tank like you mentioned Buck731. Good thing I never go below half a tank =D I will keep this thread posted about how everything works out. Just waiting for the weather to get better.

Old 01-29-2014, 04:57 PM
Captain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the roughCaptain Hook is a jewel in the rough

Low fuel level causing the pump to overheat and fail is a myth, totally untrue. The return fuel line discharges into the "well" where the pump is mounted inside the module assembly. As long as the engine is running, the pump is being cooled.

Keep us posted.

Old 02-05-2014, 02:03 PM
Beginning Member
mwbrown4 is on a distinguished road

I am currently experiencing a very similar problem, i agree with Captain Hook. Only use AcDelco or Delphi pumps, i had mine fail on me and i had a hole in the wall shop replace my pump and i believe they put in a cheap pump.

Old 02-24-2014, 03:34 PM
Beginning Member

Finally got the fuel pump replaced after a longer snow storm than expected haha. The new fuel pump fixed the problem I was having with the truck. I haven't done another fuel pressure test to verify that everything is up to spec but the truck starts right away without any extended cranking. Also I have gained some power back which is awesome. I got the right Delphi pump for my truck but the plastic tab that is on the top of the pump made it sit like it was meant for a tank that sits on the right side of the truck. (mines on the left side) Since the fuel hoses wouldn't reach I cut off that tab since its nothing more than a marker for which way the pump sits. I turned the pump to the position the old one was in and the way the float sits on the new pump now matched the position the old pump was in. If I hadn't cut that tab off the pump would have been sitting in the tank the wrong way. Has anyone encountered this problem at all? Thank you for all your help Captain Hook and to everyone else!!

Old 02-24-2014, 04:22 PM

2 door tanks are in the center of the vehicle, behind the rear axle. They're also deeper than the 4 door tanks, so the pumps are not interchangeable. 4 door tanks are in front of the rear axle, next to the frame. If the tab was not in the correct position, it sounds like your pump was boxed wrong. It's obviously a 4 door pump, cuz you'd never fit a 2 door pump in there, (too tall). Possibly for a different model or year, or one with a plastic or steel tank, (came both ways with 4 doors). Might want to check pressure and leakdown to make sure it's within spec.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:36 PM
Beginning Member

Oh ok. Ya I thought it could have been the wrong one but I bought it awhile ago and has passed the return date so I figured I would cut off the tab and do it that way. It was harder to fit the new fuel pump in with the new rubber seal it came with but I finally got the locking ring to lock it in place. I will check the pressure tomorrow and post what the specs are.

Old 02-24-2014, 07:42 PM

Cool. If it was a 2 door pump, I can guarantee it wouldn't work if you got it in there....it's about 3-4" longer

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: (Fuel pressure issue) First post ever