2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump Failure Morning After Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant... Fuel Pump Replace?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2009, 10:44 AM
cide is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Fuel Pump Failure Morning After Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant... Fuel Pump Replace?

Dear BlazerFroum Members,

I put a couple of ounces of the fuel-tank treatment labeled "Lucas Upper Cylinder Lubricant" and coincidently (Or not) I had no noise in my pump the next day and no starts. There was just over a quarter tank of fuel when I added the Lucas.

The mechanic who works nextdoor to my company was able to jumpstart me by hammering the Fuel Tank as I turned the engine over, But the fuel pump died the next day after I left the vehicle sitting for that extended time period.

The mechanic once again made the pump work by hitting the tank, this time I thought maybe the lucas had clogged it, so I filled the tank full of fuel. (The pump is less than 2 years old on my 1998 Jimmy!) This time that the pump was jump started, the Relay was clicking continuously, so I shut the truck off. Eventually I went to try to drive it again because I had school and there was no clicking and I have been driving it the past two days.

Check out: http://reviews.canadiantire.ca/9045/...8P/reviews.htm

"Formulated for both gasoline and diesel engines. Cleans and lubricates the fuel system. Neutralizes low sulphur fuel problems. Increases the life of pumps and injectors" Average Customer Rating: 4.9 out of 5

What are the chances the lucas clogged the pump VS the pump failing by chance? What are the chances I won't have to replace this assembly/pump (Do they come back from the dead?) and if I do have to replace, which pump is best? I was on EBAY and for ~20$ you can buy a GMC Jimmy Fuel Pump Repair kit that consists of a pump and some hoses and seals and stuff. Do these work? I really would like to avoid spending so much on yet another pump assembly. PS: Usually always have my fuel above the half way mark...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/FUEL-...Q5fAccessories
FUEL PUMP REPAIR KIT 1996-2001 GMC JIMMY /ENVOY 240PIN
US $29.99

Last edited by cide; 11-07-2009 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Added link for Lucas Treatment
Old 11-07-2009, 01:26 PM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road

When I read your post title, I was shocked. I use Lucas every few tanks (like every 1000 miles). I would think Lucas lubricates the pump and the fuel system as well as clean out the engine, but I could be wrong. Also you really should have added it to a full tank of gas. That lowers the concentration of the Lucas so it doesn't cause problems. Someone told me not to use it too often because it might gum up the fuel system. Maybe you just got a bad pump that had an internal problem aggravated by the high concentration of the additive..... See if it is under warranty. Some good parts stores have long warranties (sometimes lifetime limited warranties). Also if you really believe the additive caused the failure, contact Lucas themselves and tell them your story. If they really care about customers, maybe they would even fix or send you a new pump. Just my $0.02. Good luck.