2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump Problem with New Pump (Is it the pump?)

Old 06-30-2010, 09:56 AM
BouncingRadical is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Pump Problem with New Pump (Is it the pump?)

2001 Chevy Blazer

About one year ago the fuel pump began to go, I was able to bang on the tank to get the brushes to unstick and it would work. It finally died and I bought the fuel pump element only, I think it was a refurb. Put it in the old sending unit and it ran fine for about 6 or 7 months and when the Alternator went out last January, it went out at the same time. I bought a new assembly (Airtex) and dropped it in the tank.

It lasted till about 2 weeks ago. When the Blazer wouldn't start, her friend said it was her spark plugs and she replaced them. She brought me one and they were in pretty rough shape. She was driving and it died and she checked her plugs and her friend didn't screw one in all the way
Then the pump started acting up, (probably what killed it, not the lose spark plug) it would intermittently start and stop while driving. I got under the car and had her rev it and you would here the brushes catching and then the car would spool down and die. I pulled it and got it replaced under Airtex's warranty and this time I cleaned the tank really good because I was convinced these replacements were going out due to sediment in the tank. Put in the new pump and it won't pressure up at all! I got under and had her try to start it a few times, I heard the brushes grind once, but it remained silent.

I am concerned that I am missing a bigger issue that is killing this pumps or is Airtex just total junk? This job was no fun the third time around, and I'm not looking forward to number four.

Also a mechanic quoted me ~1200 to put in the fuel pump, that seemed outrageous. When he looked at it, he shot the fuel pump loop and he said there is nothing wrong with the wires.

Thanks in advance!
Chuck

Last edited by BouncingRadical; 06-30-2010 at 09:58 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 01:13 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

As we have discused many times, only buy Airtex if you enjoy changing fuel pumps. Stick with AC/Delco or Delphi. Here is the troubleshooting procedure for the fuel system:
96+ Fuel System Diagnosis

Old 06-30-2010, 03:10 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

Yep... I have an AirTex pump right now and I feel your pain. Mine will be getting replaced with a Delco unit soon.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:22 PM

Ok, I'm going to try to see if I can get my money back on the Airtex and get the Delphi. Should I try to locate an AC/Delco one or is the Delphi comparable in quality?

Old 06-30-2010, 03:30 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

From a consensus of opinions here the Delphi appears to equal the AC/Delco. They have both been used by GM as OEM.

Old 06-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Beginning Member
A/M/G is on a distinguished road

It took 3 pumps to fix my 01. First was an Airtex, then 2 Delphi's. I bought all three at at O Rileys. Returned the Airtex got the money back and bought the Delphi. The 2nd Delphi runs perfectly.

I would recommend going thru the fuel link posted.

I bought a fuel pressure gage at orileys for about 50 bucks and left it hooked up so when I had a problem--intermittent--I knew exactly what the pressure was and in return what the pump was doing. You can also rent one from Autozone, if you do not want to buy one.The rental fee is actually a deposit as you get all your money back upon return, the deposit is about 160 dollars, that is why I just went ahead and bought one. Plus I will and have used it for troubleshooting other cars and other problems.

I found a mechanic to install for $100 after I bought the pump.

Good luck I will try to track this and give any additional info that I can. It took me months to actually figure my problem out. I learned alot from trial and error and from this site.

Old 07-05-2010, 03:37 PM

I put in the Delphi (I am getting uncomfortably good at doing this job). Started up great then the battery died the next day. I believe it died from too many times trying to crank it with the old pump. Put in the charged battery and the pump was acting up, pressure was fluctuating. Crused alot then started it again and it ran great. When I come back to LA I am going to install the fuel pressure gauge and troubleshoot the fuel system, as it seems to not have constant pressure. I am guessing this from the idle RPM changes.

As for the Delphi pump, it is sturdier than the Airtex and goes in easier due to a better gasket shape. I think in January I bought a new, yet low end alternator. With my recent experience with low end parts on key maintenance items, I am dubious of its quality. So I am keeping my fingers crossed on it. At least it only takes 20 minutes to change, nothing like a Maxima.

If Delphi goes I'm going to spring for the AC Delco pump for damn sure.

Thanks for y'alls input and help!

Old 07-05-2010, 06:19 PM
BF Guru

I don't see where you replaced the fuel filter, so be sure to do that also, and be sure the engine is tuned-up completely.

Old 07-05-2010, 09:57 PM

Yeah I put on a new filter, and put on the wire harness that came from the new pump and threw the Airtex harness away just to be sure.

Tune up is next on the list when I am in town.

Old 07-07-2010, 07:36 AM
Beginning Member
A/M/G is on a distinguished road

The pressure will flux some from idle to WOT. The main concern is what is the min and max pressure? I assume you still have the original spider and fuel pressure regulator.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Problem with New Pump (Is it the pump?)