2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel pump wiring harness - necessary to replace with new pump?

Old 09-24-2008, 08:17 AM
mdkuni is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Fuel pump wiring harness - necessary to replace with new pump?

I am installing a new AC Delco fuel pump into my Blazer. Is it necessary to use the new harness or will the existing one plug right in?

Old 09-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Fuel pump wiring harness - necessary to replace with new pump?

On a 2000, it should connect right up. You just have to look at the plug and see once you are in there. I believe the harnesses were for the 95-97...

Old 09-24-2008, 10:11 AM
Banned
Duntov is an unknown quantity at this point

Fuel pump manufacturersstrongly recommended that you replace the fuel pump harness when you replace the fuel pump. Some new fuel pumps come with a new harness and screen.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

This is true for the pumps that are separate from the sending unit when you are talking about the harness inside the tank.

For a 2000, the pump and sending unit come as an assembly. They include a new connector due to changes in the connector design that affect some early model years that use the same mounting depth and flange configuration. If the connector on the wiring harness outside the tank is the same, there is no reason to change it out. In fact, you can do more harm than good by changing out the external wiring harness if done improperly.

Old 09-24-2008, 10:25 AM

Thank you for the clarification!

Can you tell me is the strainer included in a new pump inside the assembly or does it hook up on the outside of the pump? I do not see a strainer anywhere on the new pump so I would like to know if I need to get one before I go through the hassle of dropping the tank.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Banned

I am merelyrepeating what the fuel pump manfacturers recommend.Maybe the fuel pump manfacturers just want tosellfuel pump harnesses or they don'twant their fuel pumps get the blame for a bad wiring harness.

It iscommon practice to replace thestrainer when the fuel pump is replaced.However, you could save $16.00 if you did not change the screen.

Old 09-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Administrator

The strainer should be included with the new pump assembly, but if you do not see it, then it probably is not. It should stick out the side. It will be around a 1/2-3/4 inch diameter and around 4-5 inches long with a steel cap crimped near one end.

Where did you get the pump from? Brand?

About the harness, I would think that the manufacturer would rather not modify a wiring job, introducing more failure points... I do know that there was a change in the connector design which is why I believe that most of the pumps available come with a connector w/ wire pigtail.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:20 PM

It was a brand new in the box AC Delco from Ebay from a good seller. All that is on the pump is the sock type filter.

There is no screen on it or included in the package. Bummer. The wiring kit, directions and the sending unit was everything in the box.

Sounds like if I am going through all this trouble I should spend the extra $16 to get a new screen?

I am not going to replace the harness unless it won't plug in.

EDIT: Dealer wants $28 for a new strainer! I think I will stick with the existing one. If I clean it up and there is not problem with it, I don't see why not.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:22 PM
Banned

Fuel filter, fuel strainer, fuel screen or sock...it is all the same when referring to the fuel pump. What is officially called the"fuel filter" ismounted in the fuel line between the tank and the engine. What is commonly called the"sock" is officially called the "strainer" by the manufacturers. Don't ask a counterman for a "sock" or he may pullone of his footand try to sell it to you. On a 1991 S10 Blazer the "fuel filter"is in the fuel line and is mounted about in the middle of theframe on the driver's side.I have a feeling that you should replace that too.I replace my fuel filter every time I replace the air filter element....wheather it needs to be replaced ornot.

Never, never, never buy anything from a dealer ! You can purchase a fuel pump screen for your application at NAPA for $16.00 andNAPA is about 10% higher priced on everything than Autozone, Pep-Boyz, Kragen, etc. The reason they are higher priced is becauseall NAPA products are still made in the U.S.A. byname-brandcompanies we have heard of all our lives, such as Raybestos, DANA Spicer, Perfect Circle, MOOG, etc. However NAPA does notadvertise that fact because the products speak for themselves.

Quality does not matter to some people and they prefer cheap, overseas junk, especially professional mechanics, because all they think about is a fast buck.

Old 09-25-2008, 08:04 AM

I just expected the strainer to be metal. So the pump did come with everything needed.

I installed the pump last night. Wow, that was a lot of work. Well worth it though, I finally have a working gauge, and hopefully a pump I will never have to worry about.

The gauge was not that big of a deal when it wasbroke, but having it actually work is really nice!

I eneded up having to hook up the harness that came with the pump as the existing one did not match.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Fuel pump wiring harness - necessary to replace with new pump?