2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Fuel Tank Wont Accept gas!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 06:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Have you read down through this thread?

Old 07-27-2010, 07:54 AM
chuckles87blue is on a distinguished road
Default it was not the vapor line

I found out what was wrong when I talked to a friend at work . He said that blazers are prone to have to have the sending unit fail and that I should get a 5 gallon tank of gas and drive the truck untill I run out.
So when I did I filled it up and then started to drive with the trip meter on
I noticed that the digital would say that I have 78 Miles to go and the needle would only go up to 1/4 tank but when I drove around it would go to E and the display would go to LOW MILES so I drove it about two weeks untillI ran out and then took it to the gas station to fill up I was able to put a full tank in, so now all I have to get fixed is the sending unit I hope that this helps you out

Old 08-18-2010, 08:10 AM
xekushion is an unknown quantity at this point

Okay I have the same issue here with my 2002 Blazer. The only difference is that unlike you guys, lol, I'm not mechanically inclined. I'm also in a bit of a tight spot where I have roughly 1/4 of a tank of gas (well, maybe, I think my gauge lies to me, too) and commute 20 minutes to-and-from work every day, so I'm at a point where this needs to be done, but at the same time I'm very strapped for cash -- why is it always when I'm most vulnerable? lol

anyway, I'm getting a mixed vibe towards a solution here. I've read 2 or 3 of you guys discussing the vent possibly being collapsed, and I've also seen a mention of the Sending Unit and an Emit Vap switch.

Now, I can tell you that I've had an on-and-off situation where the SES would turn on and the code would be for an emit vap leak, which everybody told me was simply "gas cap". So based off that, could it be the switch? Sounds like that's what I'm hoping it is due to cost lol

Thanks again for any clarification.

Old 08-18-2010, 09:33 AM
Beginning Member
Surgin is on a distinguished road

It is the sending unit attached to the pump. Do like the OP and get a five gallon gas can, fill it up, strap it down somewhere and drive the truck until it runs out of gas.

I have a sending unit that gives me a low fuel light @ 200 miles and only 11 gallons gone. So I know that @ 18 gallons in the tank and 20MPG I can theoretically drive 360 miles on a tank. So I push 300 with the fuel light on for 100 miles.

No mechanical experience needed.

Justin

Old 08-19-2010, 02:46 PM
xekushion is an unknown quantity at this point

Well the sending unit and the emit vap valve were removed. This eliminated the SES code which has plagued me since the dawn of man, but it didn't solve the problem. Going to check the vent tube? Tomorrow morning. I'm just ready for this f'n thing to be fixed.

Old 12-20-2010, 05:08 PM
Alan H is on a distinguished road
Default Tank will not accept Fuel

I have a 2002 blazer. Just bought it and when I went to fuel up an hour down the road it took 20 minutes to let it trickle in. The chev dealer told me that I need to purchase an entire tank along with all parts in order to fix the problem as the tank is sold as a complete unit. The cost for just the unit is $1,100.00. Anyone have a better suggestion. Thanks

Old 01-15-2011, 11:35 AM
r6thor is on a distinguished road
Default fuel fillling fix

i had my blazer not take fuel like it should i ended up drilling 2 hoes in the charcoal canister and now it works fine. took 8 gallons in the time it used to take to pump 1/4 gallon

Old 01-16-2011, 01:44 PM
Alan H is on a distinguished road
Default Where is charcoal filter

Could you tell me where I would find the charcoal filter? Do I have to drop the fuel tank?

Old 01-18-2011, 04:21 PM
willyman82 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by r6thor
i had my blazer not take fuel like it should i ended up drilling 2 hoes in the charcoal canister and now it works fine. took 8 gallons in the time it used to take to pump 1/4 gallon
For a 2002 this is not a great suggestion. It will set a code for the evap system. If you read through the thread you will see that the experienced people have diagnosed and repaired blockages in the vent line or fill line to the filler cap. This is probably your issue. I dont know why the dealer would tell you to replace the whole tank, unless you just walked up to the counter and asked them "how much for a tank?". Another possible reason is that your gauge sending unit is shot and the tank is actually full. Drilling holes in your charcoal canister will just ruin the canister and set a code without actually fixing the problem. You will fail emissions testing also. But I am pretty sure the tank will fill up. Im not going to tell you where it is. If by some weird circumstance, your fuel tank does need to be replaced, go to Autozone or RockAuto.com and get one, not the dealership. All the bits and pieces plus the tank will probably be less than $500. Just make sure you paint it if it doesnt come painted.

-William

Old 01-19-2011, 06:29 AM
chuckles87blue is on a distinguished road
Default I Agree With William

I Had The Same Problem , It Turned Out To be The Pump/Sender In the tank. It Was Full The Whole Time LOL

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Wont Accept gas!!!