2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Gas Gauge Flickers in Park gear while its idling

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 09:43 PM
Esty is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by vic98blazer
hey esty, where was the bad ground wire you found, ive had the tank down, fuel pump out cleaned sending unit and my gauge is still screwed, it seem ok in any drive gear but all over the place in park or neutral. i even took the ground wire off the rear crossmember and tried to clean it but that didnt work either. i hate this bouncing gauge
Its wasnt a Ground off the harness It was a strap from the tank to the frame it was frayed it kinda like cliped on with a set screw it was odd looking but i fixed it
it was a pice or 16 gage wire not even braided
I replaced it with stainless steel wire but I used the old clip on the tank and new clip on frame
Crimped it back togeather and heat shrink on the ends for GP

My tank was almost empty and I had it up on a lift the hardest part was removeing the lines you have to reach up-over and around from behinde
and I used a trans jack to help me
I wouldn't want to do it on my back
It was a pain on the lift trying not to kink the lines
Also good time to clean the tank if there is any crud in there

Old 01-26-2012, 09:56 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

My 2000 GMC Jimmy Gas Gauge would act erratic once in got close to 1/4 tank. It would go to half tank than to E and never new what was correct. I ended up having the fuel sending unit replaced and all is normal.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:08 AM
Beginning Member
vic98blazer is on a distinguished road

esty, you must have the steel tank mine is plastic, i have a similar ground strap but it comes off the top of the filler tube and goes to frame it does look ****ty but not sure if it actually grounds the tank, think its just to discharge the static when filling up...I will find this problem at some point hopefully and will def post what i find for others with this problem...

Old 01-27-2012, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by vic98blazer
esty, you must have the steel tank mine is plastic, i have a similar ground strap but it comes off the top of the filler tube and goes to frame it does look ****ty but not sure if it actually grounds the tank, think its just to discharge the static when filling up...I will find this problem at some point hopefully and will def post what i find for others with this problem...
Yes I do Have a steel tank It didn't even cross my minde that you would have a plastic tank Sry about that
I have a plastic cover over the tank and if you have a lil tab that comes off the top of the fule pump where it gos in to the tank that would be a ground

Old 01-28-2012, 08:00 PM

Hey I wanted to add to this I was going threw some old paper work from the Previous owner of my Blazer
(mainly because I am doing stuff to the truck that seems to have been messed with before I got it)
And I came acrossed a job that was done almost 3 years ago for a new Fule Tank
because of a hole in the tank that was too larg to fix
the plastic tank was replaced with new metal after market not OEM
So what ever I sugester dosn't matter
Sry didn't know