2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

having issues with my steering column/ignition

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Starting Member
FlatTopFoley has a little shameless behavior in the past
Default having issues with my steering column/ignition

so when I bought my truck they guy moved the ignition because someone broke in and busted it out trying to hotwire it or something. so he moved it to the side where the lights controls are, and has it wired up with 4 wires. It works, but state of Maryland wont let it pass though inspection due to this fact. so what do I need to get this back to factory? can I junkyard the parts or do I need to get them new?

heres a pic of the ignition and column

or would I be best off just taking it to a shop?

Old 04-20-2009, 05:08 PM
Mammys Car is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Column/Ignition

My wife saw a 'U-Pull-It' called 'Crazy Rays' on rte 40 in Joppa/Edgewood or thereabouts. She's somewhat lacking in the directions/names department so be flexible.
You might get away with an entire column/steering wheel swap. Of course, watch out for the air bag (disconnect it) and be sure to get the keys even though they won't match your door. I don't think the '96 has the 'passlock' crap so that's good for you.
I have a '96 airbag that I'd donate if you need it and live in the extreme upper east corner of MD.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Old 04-20-2009, 05:24 PM
Starting Member

heh, I am a regular at crazy rays. But I've never seen the keys anywhere on the trucks, but I guess you could just get new key cylinder. but would that be the best way to go on it? seems somewhat involved.

btw rays is in jessep

Old 04-20-2009, 08:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would say you are looking at getting a new column depending on the damage that was done to the original column. But it also depends on where the previous owner hacked into the ignition wiring. Hopefully he did it on the ignition switch side and not on the vehicle side...

Old 04-20-2009, 09:27 PM
Starting Member

see thats the problem. I cant tell if its on the ignition switch side or he cut it out : /

ugh, I cant even figure out how to get the column out

Last edited by FlatTopFoley; 04-20-2009 at 09:57 PM.