2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

having trouble reading dipstick

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2006, 04:30 AM
ivannj is an unknown quantity at this point
Default having trouble reading dipstick

well i am on my second oil change for my 97 blazer 4.3l and the dipstick is har to read. I use 5 gallon buckets so i can't just put five qts. so my question would be this. inside on the dash where should your oil reading be at idle? thanks for the help

Old 01-13-2006, 08:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: having trouble reading dipstick

You can't judge oil level from the pressure. If you really need to know how much you are putting in, just use an old milk jug or find another way to meter what you put in. I don't find that it is all that difficult to read my dipstick, especially if you get it in the right light.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:16 PM

is too much pressure bad though. also one gallon is to much or to little for oil.

Old 01-13-2006, 05:46 PM
Canadian88 is an unknown quantity at this point

A quart is a quarter of a gallon, so no, your milk jug would equal four quarts. You do wipe the dipstick off and put it back in before you read it right?

Old 01-13-2006, 06:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: Canadian88

A quart is a quarter of a gallon, so no, your milk jug would equal four quarts. You do wipe the dipstick off and put it back in before you read it right?
No ****. Damn...

I do know that 4 quarts = 1 gallon, but it would give him a starting point for the oil level. It's generally easier to eyeball a quart in a gallon size container that you can see through than it is in a 5 gallon bucket that you can not, that is why I suggested it, not because it would get the EXACT amount of oil in.

And to answer your question (I think it was a question) ivannj, you would be 1 qt low if you only put in a gallon...

Old 01-13-2006, 07:05 PM

I was saying that for his benefit when he asked if a gallon is enough, not yours. I know that you know that. sorry if i sent the wrong message.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:12 PM
Administrator

No I know what you meant after I read up in the thread a bit. I missed ivannj's second post in here for some reason.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:15 PM
Administrator

Also, ivannj, can you see the hash marks on the dipstick? If you can, you may want to take and sand the lower portion of the dipstick, remembering to thoroughly clean the dipstick before putting it back into the vehicle. Sand it on the opposite side of the markings and just enough to score the surface. You should then be able to see where the oil level is in the scored area.

Old 01-13-2006, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: swartlkk

No I know what you meant after I read up in the thread a bit. I missed ivannj's second post in here for some reason.
OK. I think i would feel something like a lost puppy if you stopped answering my questions. []

Old 01-13-2006, 08:06 PM

Its funny well I think it is when I can not read a darn dipstick but I am serious there is something wrong here. You can not get a good reading or any at that on the stick. Yes I can see the hash mark on the stick but there is no oil on it. Well forget about that what is your oil pressure ussually read just want to know? I am going to empty out all the oil and put in a gallon and a quart that is enough right? Wow I would have never thought I would write a post on this but maybe the stick is not a factory stick I don't know.

Quick Reply: having trouble reading dipstick