2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Head Gasket or Intake Gasket

Old 12-28-2007, 11:35 PM
01gmcjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Head Gasket or Intake Gasket

2001 GMC Jimmy 4.3 4wd

I have coolant in my oil, which is more common to go out on these engines the head gasket or the intake gasket. I am hoping the intake gasket to be honest sense I would have less work to do to change it and the parts are cheaper.

Old 12-29-2007, 12:55 AM
blazerboy30 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Head Gasket or Intake Gasket

Head...

Old 12-29-2007, 03:11 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

I would think that it would be more common for the intake gasket to fail than the head gasket. Normally you will have an external leak from the intake gasket but it is possible to have an internal leak into an oil gallery.
I would remove the spark plugs and do a compression test to be sure.
I'll bet you remove the intake and find broken intake manifold gaskets.

Old 12-29-2007, 07:51 AM
Starting Member
junkmonkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Coolant in oil = Intake manifold gasket failure. Approx. $50.00 (or less) for parts and 6 to 8 hours of labor time should take care of it. IMG failure is fairly common. Good Luck.

FYI: Search around for the "How-To" to fix the IMG's. Read it through a couple times and you'll be fine. It's more grunt work than anything. Taking the top end apart is time consuming but not too hard.

Old 12-29-2007, 09:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The intake manifold gasket is WAY more common of a problem on this engine. If you did not overheat the engine, then I'm betting on an intake manifold failure. You could dismiss the head gasket with a quick look at the plugs. If you find one that has coolant on it, then do a compression check on that cylinder as well as the others on that side for comparison.

Old 12-30-2007, 11:17 AM
4x4willywill is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: junkmonkey
Coolant in oil = Intake manifold gasket failure. Approx. $50.00 (or less) for parts and 6 to 8 hours of labor time should take care of it. IMG failure is fairly common. Good Luck.
6-8hours??? good god man , what speed do you fix things? the speed of smell? lol jk

i would say more like a 2-3 hour job if you did non stop,and have all thepart/s and tools needed...also coolant in oil can =all of these.... cracked head or head gasket, or cracked block, or cracked intake. not just intake mani gasket lol just wanted to bust some chops today lol

Old 12-30-2007, 01:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I believe junk was quoting book time as this is what most shops charge for particular jobs. Is it right, no. Can it be done faster, heck yes!

Old 12-30-2007, 01:37 PM

oh yeah please dont see me as a "jackass" or "smart ***" that is not my intention

thanks alot
WIll H.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:43 PM
bigv is an unknown quantity at this point

I have a '99 4.3/V-6/4WD with whatI believe is a blown head gasket. There is coolant pouring out towards the back of the engine, spillingunderneath by the tranny. If I fill the radiator up, without the engine running, this happens when it reaches a certain volume. From my visual inspection, looks like I can see coolant coming out of the left bank head gasket, towards the rear of the head. I was quoted $1300.00 to pull both heads, install gaskets, and have any needed machining done on the heads to resolve problem. Wondering if this is reasonable and how difficult this job would be for a do it yourselfer with wrenching ability. Looks like there's alot to remove to get to the heads - time consuming.

Old 01-02-2008, 11:51 PM

its only nuts and bolts man!Hell for 1300$ ill drive to you and do the headgaskets for you! lol...

btw where you reside? city state .

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head Gasket or Intake Gasket