2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Headlights, Backlights dashboard Lights are flicker

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2013, 03:14 PM
Beginning Member
poertsch is on a distinguished road
Default Headlights, Backlights dashboard Lights are flicker

Hallo to everybody. At the moment i dont drive my Blazer because in germany it is winter time. My baby is to nice that i will drive him in this season it is to dangerous that some one will crash into it.
But my problem now is! Once the week I check him and let it run that it will not to stay so long without run the engine. So the last view weeks i was seen at the night that my headlights, backlights also dashboard lights are flicker. It is not that they go lightnig and dark it is more a fast flicker in time as the generator will run. I was checking Google already and some info told me that maybe the voltage regulator will be defect. Is this possible and can I replace this part ore it makes sense to change the hole generator. I ask because my friend will fly over to USA in Chicago and so it will easy to buy the parts there because Germany it is all to expensive.
Can you give me some idea what will be the best to solve this problem. Thanks to everybody and fore you technical answers.

Greetings from Germany Poertsch

Old 01-23-2013, 03:33 PM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

Newer vehicles don't like to sit for too long. They draw power and kill the battery. Letting it run a short while will not charge the battery enough. If you don't intend to drive it in the winter I would put a battery tender on it to keep the battery fully charged. I don't drive my truck too often and if I let it sit more than two weeks it kills the battery dead.

First, I would fully charge the battery then have it load tested to insure it is still good. Second, once your battery condition is determined check your alternator to make sure it is charging as it should. Third, get a battery tender and keep the battery charged up.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:35 PM
spittybays

Yes both voltage regulator and bridge rectifier are easy to change. These are the two parts that will most often go bad. Some simple soldering and your back in business.

You will need to do some research on which alternator you have. If you can't find markings or #'s remove and pop off the back black plastic cover. Most likely one of two set-ups. Look on e-bay or Amazon and the pics will help you identify what your friend needs to bring back.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:47 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks i will replace my battery because i got 2 of them in my baby. One for Engine and one for my sound system. So I will replace both and charge them fully up. And check it again.
And if the problem will stay than the next i will check what kind of generator model I will have installed into my car and so i can transfer this details to my friend an he will can go to a spare parts dealer in US when he will fly over to US at 10 of February. So i Think this to parts will not cost to much.
Buy the way is there any pic somewhere in the forum that i have a look how this part will looks like.

Thanks for your fast help till now.

Poertsch

I find here a video so i think it is not for a s10 but it will help me to know witch part it what for...

Last edited by poertsch; 01-23-2013 at 03:50 PM. Reason: find a video
Old 01-24-2013, 11:26 AM
spittybays
Old 01-30-2013, 04:11 PM
Beginning Member

@Spittybays Thank you that is a very nice Video helps me out a lot Thank you.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:13 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Check all the grounds in the engine bay as well. a bad ground could cause this.

Old 01-30-2013, 08:12 PM
spittybays

^+1...

Old 02-12-2013, 02:02 PM
Beginning Member
2001_chevy_blazer_owner is on a distinguished road
Default flickering lights

It is most probably the PWM (pulse width modulator) that is causing your flickering lights

Old 04-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Beginning Member

@2001_Chevy_blazer_owner
where i can find exactly this PWM.
Sorry for my Late answer was a long time in hospital. Thanks

Quick Reply: Headlights, Backlights dashboard Lights are flicker