2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

technical manuals on line?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005, 02:03 PM
Chevyman56 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default technical manuals on line?

is there anyplace to access tech manuals for these vehicles? preferably free but at least at a reasonale price? i just replaced my heater core in a 2000 Blazer and it would have been a tremendous help if i could have known the location of all the fasteners that held the darn box to the firewall. i had a dash removal diagram that was a life saver(got it from a mechanic friend) but once the dash was out, i could only sit and stare at the heater box. then it took six hours to find all the fasteners. i ended up cutting one mounting ear off the heater due to the fastener being lined up with the passenger side exhaust manifold. what a joke!

anyway, an online version of the old MOTOR"S AUTO REPAIR MANUAL would be fantastic! you guys got any information? Chevyman

Old 12-02-2005, 02:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: technical manuals on line?

I get much of my information from AllDataDIY.com. I have a subscription for each one of my automobiles and a few others for family members. It's $20 for the first vehicle and is a yearly subscription of $15/year per vehicle.

As far as physical books go, theirs Haynes & Chiltons. Both are available for around $15-$20. Then there is the ultimate, the Factory Service Manual which is available from Helm Inc. It is kind of cost prohibitive though, at around $200 for the set. You won't get a more complete and handy set of information, however.

I have the FSM for my Bonneville and was lucky enough to pick up the set from eBay for around $45 (retail for $195).

Old 12-02-2005, 05:24 PM
johnpaul is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: Chevyman56

is there anyplace to access tech manuals for these vehicles? preferably free but at least at a reasonale price? i just replaced my heater core in a 2000 Blazer and it would have been a tremendous help if i could have known the location of all the fasteners that held the darn box to the firewall. i had a dash removal diagram that was a life saver(got it from a mechanic friend) but once the dash was out, i could only sit and stare at the heater box. then it took six hours to find all the fasteners. i ended up cutting one mounting ear off the heater due to the fastener being lined up with the passenger side exhaust manifold. what a joke!

anyway, an online version of the old MOTOR"S AUTO REPAIR MANUAL would be fantastic! you guys got any information? Chevyman
didn't see any online manuals (that would be nice) but found this...
http://www.the-forum.com/auto/motor.htm
and this...i guess it's not unreasonable...
http://www.autorepairmanuals.biz/sit...83/page/588618

Old 12-11-2005, 08:50 PM
MeidleinA is an unknown quantity at this point

ALLDATA is pretty good.

Also, HELM was mentioned. They are currently having a 50%-off sale until December 31 on 1999-2001 GM literature. A good deal for you since you've got a 2000 and a good deal for me since I've just purchased a 1999

Old 12-12-2005, 02:01 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

For general tech stuff, try Autozone on teh web. They have a pretty good interactive tech section. Covers most of the basic stuff that can be found in the Haynes/Chilton manuals.

Old 12-13-2005, 04:46 PM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point

ORIGINAL: MeidleinA

ALLDATA is pretty good.

Also, HELM was mentioned. They are currently having a 50%-off sale until December 31 on 1999-2001 GM literature. A good deal for you since you've got a 2000 and a good deal for me since I've just purchased a 1999
The half price sale at Helms is a heck-of-a-deal! I didn't even realize I was getting the deal when I ordered the service manual for my 01 Silverado/01 Yukon (uses the same manuals). I just figured that at 67.50 (6.50 for shipping), maybe I was only getting one of two or three books. After placing my order online, I received an Email from UPS about a package from Helm weighing in at 23 lbs. I though WOW, heavy packaging. When the box arrived, I had a complete 5 (FIVE) volume set.

I'm hoping after the end of the month that maybe they'll do some older GM's, I'd like to get a set for my 93 Blazer, it is the only vehicle I am laking hte factory service manual set on.

Old 08-10-2009, 10:55 PM
emf_1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

you can use Chilton online for free! for almost ANY vehicle.
you can access it from the online northern waters library here's how...
go to http://nwls.wislib.org/#chilton
click on the chilton library.com logo
type "waters" for the password
click proceed
and that's it!
hope this helps

Old 08-17-2009, 03:38 AM
Beginning Member
jcws6 is an unknown quantity at this point

Most major public library systems carry a full selection of factory service manuals. Every time I need a FSM or a Chiltons, I just go to the library & check one out.