2nd Generation S-series (1995-2005) Tech Discuss 2nd generation S-series (1995-2005) general tech topics here.

Heat/temp gauge problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 06:41 PM
Starting Member
Charder is on a distinguished road
Default Heat/temp gauge problems

While driving my temp gauge moves back and forth from about 200 to 260 degrees. And during driving on side roads whime stopping and going my heat blows cold air. On highway driving the gauge will still float but it tends to stay around 210 and i get warm air blowing. Also while the gauge reads 260 i get a " check gages" warning light on my dash. Im guessing they just spelt gauges wrong?! Is this just a thermostat problem or am i gunna be replacing my heater core soon?

Old 03-30-2011, 06:43 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have a coolant level issue.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:04 PM
Starting Member

i checked and topped off mt fluid and still have the problem.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If there is air in the system, you have to get the air out or you are just wasting your time. Get the front end of the vehicle up as high in the air as you can (within reason) with the passenger side slightly higher than the driver side. Remove the radiator cap, start the engine, and run it up to operating temperature keeping the radiator topped up. Allow it to cool and repeat until you don't see any more air burping out of the cap location.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:44 PM
Starting Member

k i will try that this week, while im trying to do my shackle lift

Old 04-04-2011, 08:11 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by swartlkk
If there is air in the system, you have to get the air out or you are just wasting your time. Get the front end of the vehicle up as high in the air as you can (within reason) with the passenger side slightly higher than the driver side. Remove the radiator cap, start the engine, and run it up to operating temperature keeping the radiator topped up. Allow it to cool and repeat until you don't see any more air burping out of the cap location.
i didnt get to try this but i did recheck the fluid level and it was a little low so i topped it off but the radiator seemed to be dry, so i filled it up with coolant, could there be some sort of blockage? where should i start looking first

Old 04-04-2011, 08:20 PM
Administrator

The coolant went somewhere. How much have you had to put in total? The system capacity is almost 12qts.

Have you replaced the radiator cap? If the radiator cap is not holding 15-16psi of pressure in the system, the boiling point will be lowered to where you could boil off coolant resulting in a drop in system level. At under $10, it is a cheap and easy thing to check. You could also look into renting a cooling system pressure tester which will allow you to pump up the system manually and observe the pressure drop. You should be able to build up to 15-16psi in the system without it dropping off. If it drops off, there is a leak that needs to be found and repaired. There are ultraviolet dyes that can be put into the system to aid in leak detection by using a black light.